32ch Maxtrac only shows 16?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

32ch Maxtrac only shows 16?

Post by 007 »

I have a D43 Maxtrac that I just got and started messing around with, and upon reading the radio it shows 32 programmed channels in the RSS...which is bizarre since the radio only shows the first 16 as it sits here in front of me.

Is this a case of a 16 channel -> 32 channel upgrade gone south when the board was blanked? My Maxtrac-foo is very weak, as I've not owned one in about 10 years.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
tgo

Re: 32ch Maxtrac only shows 16?

Post by tgo »

If the accessory connector (part of logic board) at the rear of your Maxtrac has five pins (first design), then the radio is capable of a maximum of sixteen channels only. If the connector has sixteen pins, it can be made capable of thirty-two channels provided the board has been initialised as a Maxtrac 300 with "high signalling," AND thirty-two channels have been enabled in the RSS ("radio-wide configuration").

Post by 007 »

It has been init'd as a Maxtrac 300, has a 16 pin board, has 5.34 firmware and shows 32 channels in the RSS.

*edit*

I just went thru the 32 channel logic board blank/re-init process and I still only get the first 16 channels on the radio even though the RSS programmed 32. I thought the 16 pin board accepted 32 channels?
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Is it a factory 5.34 eprom? Double check that none of the pins are bent where it plugs in.
That is a weird symptom, but might appear if a Radius eprom was plugged in (a radius eprom WILL limit you to 16 channels in the scan list).
It also could be a bad memory chip (or jumper on the back). The memory may be "wrapping".
Try blanking with lab, (make sure you use "extended board") then initialize with the newer 7.2 rss. Try "maxtrac high signalling" as the model.
Also try just adding modes to 17 or so, if it does really weird things (like only displaying 1 or 2chs) , then something is wrong with the extended memory.

Post by 007 »

Max-trac wrote:Is it a factory 5.34 eprom? Double check that none of the pins are bent where it plugs in.
That is a weird symptom, but might appear if a Radius eprom was plugged in (a radius eprom WILL limit you to 16 channels in the scan list).
It also could be a bad memory chip (or jumper on the back). The memory may be "wrapping".
Try blanking with lab, (make sure you use "extended board") then initialize with the newer 7.2 rss. Try "maxtrac high signalling" as the model.
Also try just adding modes to 17 or so, if it does really weird things (like only displaying 1 or 2chs) , then something is wrong with the extended memory.
The eprom has the /\/\ 5.34 sticker on it, but I did not check the pins...will look at those up close. I did the re-init in 7.2 RSS as a 32 channel extended board, high signalling radio. I also deleted modes 17-32, then re-added mode 17 which caused the radio to wrap back to being a 1 channel radio. Barring a physical issue, I am guessing the eprom is the problem.
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Probably a eeprom issue, not the 5.34 eprom.
Inspect around the legs on all those memory chips, and on the back of the circuit board too.
(the 2816 and the skinny chip under the eprom).
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Make sure the extra EEprom is located on the logic board under the can. It should be right next to the Prom. I have run into some radios I bought at a state auction, that were 16 pin but missing the extra EE-prom. They were only 16 chan and didn't work untill I installed the extra EE-prom.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”