GM300 Audio Noise Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pks

GM300 Audio Noise Problem

Post by pks »

There seem to be an audio problem with my GM300. It appears to be a low volume scratching noise and sometimes relatively loud crackling noise. The noise problem is intermittent but the strange thing is if I apply 10V to the power supply, the problem disappears. As soon as I hit 11V or more, the noise is back (intermittent again). All this is happening without RX audio.

I have pin 15 and 16 of the accessory port shorted but removing the jumper does not remove the noise.

Can anyone pin point me to where I should start? Thanks.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: GM300 Audio Noise Problem

Post by kcbooboo »

Well, you could search this board for "GM300 problem", but since the search function doesn't work right, that probably won't help you, and I wouldn't want to look through thousands of useless results.

One very common problem with GM300s is the interconnect pins between the logic board and the RF board get corroded. This causes all sorts of noise problems, as well as the radio appearing to be way off frequency. This is the first thing to tackle. Remove both boards, clean all of the pins, and reassemble. That might fix things up.

If not, you've probably got a problem with a power supply capacitor or the audio power amplifier. An oscilloscope should help find what area is generating the noise.

Bob M.
pks

Re: GM300 Audio Noise Problem

Post by pks »

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Cheers~

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”