Rayovac aftermarket batteries

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

P25Digital
New User

Rayovac aftermarket batteries

Post by P25Digital »

I'm in the market to replace several MTS2000 and XTS2500 batteries. I prefer to use OEM, but since I don't sign the checks, I'm being told to purchase Rayovac batteries from a local supplier.

I've searched the internet and can't find any real info about the Rayovac 4013 replacements or the 9858 replacements. I've found the comparisons with Motorola, Multiplier, Nuon and Power Products, just nothing about the Rayovac batteries.

The local dealer says we get a 24 month warranty and that if I take the batteries apart, they're exactly the same as a Motorola battery, since both come from the same manufacturer.

No, I'm not falling for this just because the claim has been made. I can't, however, refute the claim.

As far as the purchase of aftermarket, please see CHOIR, PREACHING TO... I need good facts to back me up if I hope to sway the purchase.

Input is greatly appreciated.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Rayovac aftermarket batteries

Post by HLA »

rayovac is pretty generic especially if you have to trust your life with them? look at some multiplier batteries.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
P25Digital
New User

Post by P25Digital »

HLA wrote:rayovac is pretty generic especially if you have to trust your life with them? look at some multiplier batteries.
I agree, but that isn't an argument/fact that I can present to the board. I need to be able to document known problems or known issues.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No, the aftermarket batteries are not the same inside, and they don't come from the same manufacturer. It's possible they use cells from the same manufacturer but the final assembly is a whole 'nother ballgame. Motorola presorts their cells by capacity, this is the reason you'll rarely ever (I would like to say never but shouldn't talk in absolutes) find a brand new battery from them that rates below advertised capacity.

One reason Motorola batteries are often lower capacity than the seemingly equivalent aftermarket guys is that Motorola uses smaller cells and has more polycarbonate. The battery housings are physically thicker. Also I doubt the internal circuitry on an aftermarket is anywhere near as well-done as OEM.

You are paying more, yes. But you get better value. I've got OEM Jedi batteries in daily service that approaching 6 years of age and they were at 82% of rated capacity on the analyzer the last time they were reconditioned (3 months ago).
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

They just bought some for work instead of the multipliers. I heard that the radio guy was told that they are built by muliplier, so I guess the lies are always different depending on what salesman is telling them :lol:

If it's for any sort of critical use use, just get OEM. I actually had a multiplier jedi battery break the bottom clips that made it useless without wrapping a wide elastic band around the bottom. For crappy ham use, that's dumb looking but doable. For anything else, that's gonna get tossed. They have used quite a few multiplier jedi batteries at work over the years and that was the only one they ever saw that broke at the battery clips, just my luck 8)

I used to saw only OEM or multiplier for me (non critical use) but with Escomm's prices (vs what I as an individual could get), even buying Impres batteries for non-impres use is really not much more than aftermarket.

I won't even comment about the power-products battery that was given to me that won't even make contact in the 1171 charger......
Will

Post by Will »

Even Multiplier battery product line has gone to the 'dogs', very poor quality. Multiplier was bought out by some European company.

Heck, Interstate brand is better.

Escomm is on the mark here about hand held radio batteries.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

The last I heard most of the Multiplier line is still done in house, and it will stay the way for while. (How long is a while?) That was about 6 months ago I would have to guess. I do know we tried some of the batteries from the company(I for get their name) that purchased Multiplier, and they were garbage.

As far as the tabs breaking on the Multipliers, they will warranty that if the battery is under 24 months. They only warranty the cells for 18, but the case is 24. We have had dozens replaced for bad housings.

Jim
Bat2way

Post by Bat2way »

P25Digital wrote:I prefer to use OEM, but since I don't sign the checks, I'm being told to purchase Rayovac batteries from a local supplier.
Just get OEM and forget about it. It's not worth the hassle.
P25Digital
New User

Post by P25Digital »

Bat2way wrote: Just get OEM and forget about it. It's not worth the hassle.
Trust me, I'd love to, but I don't sign the checks.

The Multiplier portion of the thread has my interest. I have a couple of older Multipliers that work great. But as already mentioned, for MY radios, I'll stick with ESCOMM's great deals! I'm just the lone voice saying "Buy Motorola"....
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Try the archives, someone here (Kc8Ryw?) had a explosion with an aftermarket that darn near burned his house. Sometimes the bean counters are tough to convince because their not usually using the stuff they decide on. Another attack is to talk to the legal dept, town attorney or equivalent and let them know of the plan to use a non original equipment manufacturer accessory on a life safety device.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Assuming you're working in public safety, ask the higher-ups what the lawsuit will cost when a police officer or firefighter dies, and one of the contributing factors is determined to be a malfunctioning radio.

You could also mention that Motorola could invalidate warranty and even flat-rate coverage if they discover you're using non-approved accessories. Not likely to happen, but it might be enough to sway the bigwigs.
P25Digital
New User

Post by P25Digital »

You are correct, this is a public safety agency. Both of you points are valid, and I've included them in my efforts to sway those with the checkbook. I'm also going to start searching for the battery that blew up as suggested above.

Keep the ideas coming, I've probably got about a week to work this out.
tvsjr wrote:Assuming you're working in public safety, ask the higher-ups what the lawsuit will cost when a police officer or firefighter dies, and one of the contributing factors is determined to be a malfunctioning radio.

You could also mention that Motorola could invalidate warranty and even flat-rate coverage if they discover you're using non-approved accessories. Not likely to happen, but it might be enough to sway the bigwigs.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”