What do I get when I "depot" a radio?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rcfire76
No Longer Registered

What do I get when I "depot" a radio?

Post by rcfire76 »

I am getting an MCS2000 model II 800mhz remote mount that is showing fl 01/90...this was a known problem when I bought it, but hey, for $100 it is worth it...

My question is...if I send it to the depot through my mss...what will I get back...what will they do... I have heard good and bad stories...

I think the price was like $385...

Thanks

T
d119

Re: What do I get when I "depot" a radio?

Post by d119 »

rcfire76 wrote:I am getting an MCS2000 model II 800mhz remote mount that is showing fl 01/90...this was a known problem when I bought it, but hey, for $100 it is worth it...

My question is...if I send it to the depot through my mss...what will I get back...what will they do... I have heard good and bad stories...

Thanks

T
Most likely they will fix the problem with the radio, upgrade the firmware to whatever the current version for MCS2000 is (who knows), and send it back to you.

Chris
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

I supposed (with today's depot experiences) the last step would be to cross your fingers, and pray that you get the same radio you sent in to them back. Although I have to admit, as of very recently (the past half year or so) they've been doing quite a good job in that department :)
rcfire76
No Longer Registered

Post by rcfire76 »

I wouldnt care if they sent me a xtl5000 05 in return!....lol
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

You never know. We have had them send the wrong radio back to us twice, but both times they made it right quickly. Once they lost a m1225 and gave us a brand new cm300 in replacment. We have also sent in several 1225's while they still supported them and got back pro series radios in exchange because they didn't have the parts to fix them. With an Mcs you should be pretty safe.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I just sent in 2 of my JT1000s and 1 MTS2000 model 3 for the pixel fix... both came back within the same week. Sent Monday via USPS came back Friday via DHL.....
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

d119 wrote:
rcfire76 wrote:I am getting an MCS2000 model II 800mhz remote mount that is showing fl 01/90...this was a known problem when I bought it, but hey, for $100 it is worth it...

Thanks

T
Most likely they will fix the problem with the radio, upgrade the firmware to whatever the current version for MCS2000 is (who knows), and send it back to you.

Chris
And after they fix it they usually write to the code plug with the most recent cps so you better have the most
up to date cps available to you. We have received many a MTS or MCS back only to discover our cps subscription
had not been renewed so we were using a slightly older ver of cps.
fineshot1
NJ USA
motofreak008

Post by motofreak008 »

What do you think they would do if I sent a HT600, P50, or Maxtrac 100?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motofreak008 wrote:What do you think they would do if I sent a HT600, P50, or Maxtrac 100?
Send it back unrepaired (RUR), most likely.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Motorola publishes on businessonline(.motorola.com) (if you have an account) what models are still covered under flat rate and what is not. It also has what models can be repaired in general, and what is just no longer supported IIRC. Sometimes the same or similar .pdf file can be found on the regular Motorola site when you do some searches.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

motofreak008 wrote:What do you think they would do if I sent a HT600, P50, or Maxtrac 100?
I flat rated a P200 some years back. Besides repairing came back wearing new plastic (with new label on rear) and
a new, out of warranty battery. About $200. at the time but the repair person tightened me up nicely.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

tvsjr wrote:
Send it back unrepaired (RUR), most likely.
It's not very common, but Motorola reserves the right to bill $40 for radios that get RUR'd.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Well,

You may not need to call on the depot. if your MCS showed this on the previous user there may have been no B+ to the drawer / brick, depending on your vintage. If you only have 12 VDC to the control head and not the drawer you will get a FL 01/90 on power up because the SPI did not turn on the head. If I were you I would check that and then if need be send it to the depot. There is one final step and that is to make the radio a dash mount to rule out a remote mount problem.

Of course you may also find the root cause of the $100 sale and that is the drawer blows fuses, heheheh

Good luck and let us know your findings

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”