Narrowband Clarification...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Narrowband Clarification...

Post by Tony.RI »

My posting this question in t2k's thread was probably impolite, so I'm starting a new thread for it:
Tony.RI wrote:
john9912 wrote:
If you want to use the radio for other than ham use... MURS commercial freqs etc, then get a radio that is narrowband capable. MURS is narrowband. MT1000 and earlier HT1000 will not handle narrowband. HT1000s model numbers that end in AN & BN are NOT narrow capable. Models ending in CN or DN are. I would avoid investing monies into wideband only radios. In about a year and a half wideband will go away for commercial use. Government users have until Dec 31 2012. There will be an abundance of wideband radios being discarded over this time. Values will greatly decrease as the narrowband deadline approaches. There may be conversion available for some radios, but this will require more investment and someone to install them.Stick to a newer model radio that will handle 12.5 KHz narrowband emissions.
Ok, I must not be understanding something in the right way. I have a AN HT1000 that has a 12.5 KHz spacing option. How is that any different from my XTS3000, MT2000, or even a DN HT1000 with 12.5KHz spacing?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Re: Narrowband Clarification...

Post by Jim2121 »

Tony.RI check your pm's
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

A bit OT, but because so many people read the stuff we all post here, let's clarify the MURS bandwidth question. There are five MURS channels, the lowest three are narrowband but the top two are optionally wideband OR narrowband.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
t2k
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000 (4), MT2000 (1)

Post by t2k »

Tony.RI wrote: [snip]
Ok, I must not be understanding something in the right way. I have a AN HT1000 that has a 12.5 KHz spacing option. How is that any different from my XTS3000, MT2000, or even a DN HT1000 with 12.5KHz spacing?
[/quote]

I'd like to hear the answer to that too, please.

I just looked at a BN HT1000 that also can select the 12.5 khz spacing.
(4) HT1000s w/dtmf (vhf), (1) MT2000 (vhf) and counting.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Your HT1000 question, it is a common rumor that all ht1000's older than a "DN" are not narrowband capable. In fact that is what we tell our customers, but its not true. Older HT's that allow you to select 12.5 channel spacing in the rss will do narrowband, what they don't do is splinter frequencies. When they took the 25khz channels and divided them in half, half you channels are on frequencies wideband channels used to be on, the others in between each of those is a splinter channel. If your freq falls on one of those splinter channels, your ht1000 bn, cn will not work only a dn will take the channel. Older mcs2k's, probably mts2k's, astro sabers and astro spectra's will not do them either, without either a firmware update or in some cases new rf board. Hope this answers your question.
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Post by Hartley »

Hi Gents,

Some time ago, in response to these sorts of stories, I tested several VHF and UHF HT1000s that I had available. EVERY MODEL - AN thru DN, VHF or UHF, worked exactly the same as far as channel steps and wide/narrow deviation (TX & RX). ALL of these radios would do a 5 kHz or 6.25 kHz step (but NONE of them will do a 2.5 kHz step) and all of them reduce deviation and switch in a narrower filter when you select "12.5 kHz channel spacing". Yes, I tested to make sure the radio was really on the frequency programmed.. :lol:

The ONLY RF performance difference I've noted between the various "letters" is that the DN (and some CN) radios have a 2.5 ppm TCXO in them, and the earlier versions have a 5 ppm TCXO. (stock - yes, you can replace this part with a later version) The controllers in the later models have many enhancements, of course, and since they changed the RF boards, I assume there are enhancements there, too - but nothing that affects whether it will do narrowband or not.

73 DE Hartley
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

As stated, ALL HT1000's will do narrowband... only DN will do splinter channels.

Only DN version HT1000's will allow you to program them. Even IF you do find a way to force program it... it won't TX it. The older firmware has no idea how to handle it.
Experienced Provider of Useless Information

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”