CDM1550 dead

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

druhe
New User

CDM1550 dead

Post by druhe »

I have a VHF CDM1550 that I updated the firmware to 05.04.08 (I think that's it). After the upgrade the radio preformed perfectly. Today the radio was on for several hours, when it went in to EPROM CS ERROR (I was not programming it at the time). I powered the radio down then back on, after doing so the radio preformed as normal for about a minute, it then went deaf. After powering down again, it will not power back on. Anyone on list hear of such behavior ? Any ideas ? Or is this thing going back to DePot ?

Thanks in Advance

--Dan-
mike m

Re: CDM1550 dead

Post by mike m »

For what it's worth, and this reply is probably not worth anything to you so I'm sorry if it doesn't help but someone out there must know something about a latent bug in Motorola's firmware because I have been seeing a lot of E-Bay listings to fix various check-sum and other errors in most of the CDM radios.

It seems the going price is around 55 dollars to fix these radios software problems.

And I don't have anything to do with this as I've never seen nor worked on a CDM in person, I'm just passing along some info, who knows the 55 buck price may be cheaper than depot-ing the radio but it seems that I have seen a lot of post recently relating to this or similar issues.

Makes me never want to own any of the CDM radio's.

Mike
druhe
New User

Post by druhe »

Mike,

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking the same thing. I'll give it a few more days to see if I get any other suggestions.

I'm liking the avatar

--Dan--
mike m

Post by mike m »

It's one of those visual test avatars, your supposed to be looking for a waterfall.

So far I have never been able to find it.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Try reading the radio from the rear accy connector with the programming/flash cable, even though it won't (visually) power up.

Use R06.11.10 software.

Also try to bootstrap the radio using the flashing adapter from the front connector using a SERIAL ribless programming cable. You may be able to recover the radio by doing a firmware update. The current firmware is 5.08.05A.

Make sure to follow the firmware upgrade instructions EXACTLY. You may have to try a few times to get the timing for the bootstrap correct.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

mike m wrote:It's one of those visual test avatars, your supposed to be looking for a waterfall.

Waterfall?? What waterfall? :o
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

com501 wrote:
mike m wrote:It's one of those visual test avatars, your supposed to be looking for a waterfall.

Waterfall?? What waterfall? :o
There's a waterfall?
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”