Curious?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Curious?

Post by jban »

Been on this board for awhile and have learned quite a bit, Thanks to everyone for that.

My question: I notice on the for sale forum that UHF equipment seems to be unpopular as compaired to VHF. Why is this? What is happening to the UHF band? Like I said I am just curious. Thoughts!!
John B
Thomas
What radios do you own?: MCS2K,CDM1250,XTS3000,XTL2500

Re: Curious?

Post by Thomas »

I feel your pain....been trying to locate some astro stuff in UHF T-band on here and elsewhere. Not easy and when you do find it be prepared to give up you right arm and leg.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

T band stuff is harder to come by because is primarly used in the Chicago, NY and LA . Not as much is produced by Motorola and when is avalible its at a premium
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Just a guess, but I would say that most of the UHF systems are still staying in place, and the VHF systems are all being phased out in favor of newer 800MHZ P25 systems. (Hence a lot of VHF radios appearing on the used market).
Why UHF isn't on the market as MUCH as VHF is a very good question though, but that's just my thoughts on the matter.
jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

It also seems that listed UHF equipment (ie..CDM, HT, etc) on the Board don't move very fast either. Just made me wonder why UHF would be less popular since I know there are still alot of UHF systems out there. Curious!
John B
Al

Post by Al »

Propagation characteristics of VHF vs. UHF for users in hilly/mountainous terrain?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Personally, I have no use for UHF in my "geographical region". Except for ham, of course.

UHF used to have copious police agencies in all the neighboring counties, now they're all either on the state system or on their own proprietary (MA/COM Open Sky) system.

The only use I have for UHF is for PAC-RT style vehicular repeater stuff and nothing more.

When it comes to used stuff for sale, I've noticed that 450-512 sells for the top dollar, followed by VHF and then UHF 403-450. I think the higher sells for more because the other two might just be interested hams wanting cheap rigs for their own purposes, but that's just a guess.
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

What people are selling is what is NOT being used anymore
Lots of agencies with older VHF wideband systems are going to be gone with the narrowband requirement
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

There is also a lot of T-band in the SF bay area, mostly on the west side of the bay.

Marin county has a P-25 trunking system on T-band for the entire county, including local agencies.

San Mateo county has a P-25 trunking system for the county, plus several conventional mutual-aid channels, and all of the local law enforcement agencies have conventional systems on T-band.

In Santa Clara county, most of the local law enforcement agencies in the northern half of the county are on T-band, as well as county transit, and one local fire agency.

Alameda county has one local law enforcement agency, and the county transit district on T-band.

The Golden Gate Bridge District is on T-band, as is the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

Most of the fire agencies are on hiband VHF,
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”