Astro Spectra won't receive

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB8YGX
New User
What radios do you own?: AS W7,AS III,XTS2500,HT1250

Astro Spectra won't receive

Post by KB8YGX »

The radio transmits just fine. I am unable to get it to receive. Put it in monitor mode, turned the squelch down all the way and I receive white noise, but nothing else.
Bill_G

Re: Astro Spectra won't receive

Post by Bill_G »

Time to go through the receive chain to determine the problem. Most likely on the rf board since it is completely deaf.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

There's not a lot that will completely kill receive in a Spectra, Astro or otherwise, without causing some other symptom like FAIL 001 or no transmit. The one time I've encountered it, it turned out to be the receive RF cable coming off the PA not being plugged in.
KB8YGX
New User
What radios do you own?: AS W7,AS III,XTS2500,HT1250

Post by KB8YGX »

motorola_otaku wrote:There's not a lot that will completely kill receive in a Spectra, Astro or otherwise, without causing some other symptom like FAIL 001 or no transmit. The one time I've encountered it, it turned out to be the receive RF cable coming off the PA not being plugged in.
That's exactly what it was, Josh. Thanks all for the help.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Hey, everybody likes a simple fix. :D

It's funny too because I did the exact opposite a couple of weeks ago.. got a radio put together and singing the hymns on receive, but not so much as a milliwatt out. Got it ripped back apart and discovered that I had jammed a new-style plug on the TX line from the RF board to the VCO into an older-style connector on the RF board resulting in open connection. Luls ensued.
Will

Post by Will »

That happens when someone mixes up the different sub-assemblies in Spectra and Astro Spectra radios.

Some times these connectors are damaged or broken beyond repair.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”