GP68 DTMF

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

John

GP68 DTMF

Post by John »

I have a GP68 that I added a optional DTMF Decoder card to. I can't seem to find anything in the manual on how to setup this decoder. Can someone help?

John
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

John,
I have all the manuals, but will have to wait until this evening to look through them. I don't have the card in any of my 68's, so will have to look through docs to see if i can help you if nobody comes up with anything prior to that.
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

John, Here is the instructions:

Option Board Enable Procedure....

The programming options are Selcal, Decode and Serial. To enable one of these options, turn the radio off, press and hold the '*' key (bottom left of keypad, also the lock key), and turn on the radio. The DTMF and SmarTrunk II options screen will appear on the display. The default is 'OPt.OFF'. Press the '>' (arrow down, sorry can't suplicate on my keyboard, it is the middle button on upper left keys) key and 'MEM <' (arrow up, bottom button on upper left keys) to show the options, SEL.CAL, dECODE, and SEriAL. Select 'dECODE' option for the DTMF option board. If you are installing the SmarTrunk II option board, select 'SEriAL'. When the correct option is selected, turn the radio off to save it to memory.

Now....let me know if you need to know how to program the DTMF codes.....yippee
John

Post by John »

Thanks for the info. I was able to get DTMF enabled and find the settings for ind call, grp call, and all call.

What is the difference between SELCALL and DECODE?

John
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

SelCall is 'Signalling Squelch', which requires the DTMF board you installed. The GP68 supports Carrier Squelch (CSQ), Coded Squelch - Tone Private-Line (PL), Digital Private-Line (DPL) and Signalling Squelch - Voice Selective Call (SelCall) operations on a per channel basis.

Carrier Squelch transmissions allows all radios tuned to the selected receive channel (frequency) to hear the conversation. Coded Squelch transmissions only allows radio(s) have the same PL/DPL code on the selected receive channel (frequency) to hear the conversation. Signalling Squelch transmission can only be decoded by radio's with the valid Voice Selective Call (SelCall) identification code.

Okay, now that I went over information that you already probably know, here is the answer: I don't know :-)

I don't know how it makes a difference if you select 'decode' vs 'selcall' and not only that, but the manuals never tell you to select the option of 'selcall' during setup or installation of the DTMF board. I'll keep digging, maybe I can clear my head of this confusion......
John

Post by John »

Sounds like DECODE just sounds a tone when the appropriate DTMF sequence is received but the radio still receives all transmissions. DECODE is not channel specific.

SELCAL sounds like it is used to mute the radio until the correct DTMF sequence is received. It is settable on a per channel basis.

I will try and do some experiments and see what happens. I will let you know.

Thanks again
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

I think you are right, just doesn't address it much in the manual. Let me know what you find out.
BKXCEP
New User

Re: GP68 DTMF

Post by BKXCEP »

The documentation comes with the toneboards whitch are hard to find in the OEM packaging if you can get them from Japan the instructions are in Japanese so best of luck to you
elkbow

Re: GP68 DTMF

Post by elkbow »

BKXCEP wrote:The documentation comes with the toneboards whitch are hard to find in the OEM packaging if you can get them from Japan the instructions are in Japanese so best of luck to you
You realize you replied to a topic almost 15 years old? Lol.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”