Looking for LA ham rptrs

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Looking for LA ham rptrs

Post by N4KVE »

Hello. I will be traveling to LA on Sunday to film a commercial. Staying at the Holiday Inn on Airport Blvd. I assume that's near the airport. Any ham rptrs near there? Possibly UHF IMBE? I have searched the subject on the internet, but found a statement that many repeaters are closed, & not open to outsiders, or visitors. So I was looking for a repeater where I might get a reply if I threw my callsign out there. Anything else interesting to listen to on PS freq's. Anything interesting to see near there in what little spare time I might have there. This will be my 1st trip to the Golden State. GARY N4KVE
Will

Re: Looking for LA ham rptrs

Post by Will »

There are two that come to mind. The PAPA and the DARN systems.

I will look on my lists.
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

You might find the PAPA system interesting. Take a look at their website (www.papasys.com). I used the system when I lived in Santa Barbara, and the system is very extensive. You did want UHF, correct?
-John
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

For UHF repeaters in that area, you might also like the WIN System (www.winsystem.org).

That's all I can suggest for open systems.
-John
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Here is a link with a list of SOCAL P25 stuff.

http://p25ham.proboards.com/index.cgi?b ... =11&page=1
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks guys. I'll bring a dual bander, so VHF/UHF is fine. But if I find a UHF IMBE rptr, I'd bring my XTS 5000 too. GARY N4KVE
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

There is a 440 Mixed-Mode P25 IMBE repeater on Mt. Thom (Glendale area) which should talk to LA quite well. The analog side is private however the P25 side is open for all hams with P25 capability. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll give you the particulars.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

N6LAU wrote:There is a 440 Mixed-Mode P25 IMBE repeater on Mt. Thom (Glendale area) which should talk to LA quite well. The analog side is private however the P25 side is open for all hams with P25 capability. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll give you the particulars.

Joe
Well, I put out my callsign about 8 times over 4 days on that IMBE rptr, & never got a reply. I played tourist & took a 2 hour tour, then drove to Venice Beach, the Santa Monica Pier, & the Hollywood walk of fame. I listened to a few ham repeaters, & the most activity was on 927.975, & GMRS ch 462.700. They were all hams there. The weather was cool & cloudy, but I had a great time. GARY N4KVE
d119

Post by d119 »

How'd ya like 927.975? ;)
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

d119 wrote:How'd ya like 927.975? ;)
It was busy most of the time. It had some interesting conversations, & was linked to a UHF rptr, but I listened on the 900 side. I only had the radio on in the evening, as I was busy during the day. This was my first time in California, & I really enjoyed it. GARY N4KVE
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

If you're talking about the CCC machine, those guys are really friendly. Most of them are professional radio guys that work for the various agencies around there. I know most of them, and they're all good people.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I'm sure they are nice guys, but I put out my call several times a night in IMBE, & had the receiver in mixed mode, & I never heard any activity the 4 days I was there in the evenings at the hotel. But 462.700 & 927.975 were very busy. GARY N4KVE

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”