XTL5000 Dual Radio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firestick
What radios do you own?: Astro Baby!!!!

XTL5000 Dual Radio

Post by firestick »

I currently have a XTL5000 with and O5 head and V14 firmware. Im still learning about these radios so excuse my ignorance.

The XTL i have is 380-470 however ive noticed it will go to 476 but i need to work to 478...ive tried the CPS hack and it worked till i upgraded to the latest firmware and CPS and no its a no dice.

None the less my requirements now require me to go above that up to 520 so the obvious options are to get another whole XTL or a dual radio setup. Ive read a few posts but they were a bit dated and im worried they are no longer relavant.

Other then another GCAI cable and radio would i need to reflash both radios or the head. Updated firmware or Flashcode?

Appreciate the help.
Shaun Dennis

XTL5000 O5, XTS3000II, MTS2000 and an MCS2000.
Also a few GP339's and GP328's
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: XTL5000 Dual Radio

Post by Code3 »

The only supported configuration for dual radio XTL5000s is with the W3 head. There is no dual radio O5 configuration, and likely there never will be due to the introduction of the APX7500.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

You have to modify each version of the software. We have 450-512 radios and I have programmed ham frequencies in the 440 area in some recent motorcycle radios for a couple of amateur radio officers.
firestick
What radios do you own?: Astro Baby!!!!

Post by firestick »

Ive tried that but i now seam to always get the "Fail 001" message on the chans that are over the 476.
Shaun Dennis

XTL5000 O5, XTS3000II, MTS2000 and an MCS2000.
Also a few GP339's and GP328's
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

Sounds like you need to swap the low-split radios for some high-split radios. Unless you really need the LB-UHF stuff, you should have picked up the high-split radios in the first place.

The FAIL001 is a PLL unlock error.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Post by tsunami_australia »

mmm I went to post a reply to here and it seems to have found a black hole... either way....

I have much the same question myself, I've given up trying to get the low-split XTL onto 477-478mhz so have been looking and asking around about dual bricking the unit. Is it possible to run two bricks from a single 03 head?

I'd like dual from the 03 since I was using my low split for a specific purpose in the 400-430 range and the 03 head is much better IMO than the W3. I just wish I could get 470-480 in there without a seperate head, mic etc (which my old MCS2000 is doing at the moment) as it would be a much cleaner and easier install.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

tsunami_australia wrote:Is it possible to run two bricks from a single 03 head?.
One can only wish. There were rumors this was going to be supported but it never was supported and probably won't since the XTL5000 is on the way out (replaced with the APX).

Jason
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Now that the APX 6500 is available, the XTL5000 days are severely limited!
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

ASTROMODAT wrote:Now that the APX 6500 is available, the XTL5000 days are severely limited!
What does that have to do with this thread?

The APX6500 is a single band radio, not capable of dual radio since the APX7500 (previously mentioned) is now available...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The Pager Geek wrote:
ASTROMODAT wrote:Now that the APX 6500 is available, the XTL5000 days are severely limited!
What does that have to do with this thread?

The APX6500 is a single band radio, not capable of dual radio since the APX7500 (previously mentioned) is now available...

tpg
Two APX 6500 radios with one 03 HHCH.
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

Two APX 6500 radios with one 03 HHCH.
Which isn't an option...
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

We have been told this configuration can be ordered via an SP.
akardam

Post by akardam »

ASTROMODAT wrote:We have been told this configuration can be ordered via an SP.
Yes, and my grandmaw's daughter's friend's boyfriend's sister knows a guy who swears he saw a pink elephant once upon a midnight dreary.

Care to provide anything concrete, such as order option numbers?
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

ASTROMODAT wrote:We have been told this configuration can be ordered via an SP.
Bullsh!t flag on the play... NO WAY they're doing dual radio (dual band) config with a APX6500.

Put up or shut up...

tpg
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

It is not a field quotable SP. It is a factory only generated SP, and we have not yet ordered them. Our salesman has told us this SP will be available in 2Q11.
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

ASTROMODAT wrote:It is not a field quotable SP. It is a factory only generated SP, and we have not yet ordered them. Our salesman has told us this SP will be available in 2Q11.
Your salesman's on crack. We (MSS / Federal MSS) were told by M product group, it's not happening.

There's no value in having it. With the APX7500, there is no gain by having dual radio.

tpg
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

So okay, to try to re-rail things, how is the dual-radio W3 setup built? Does it use a Y-cable which goes from both drawers to the W3 head, or does it use a DB25 M-M cable between drawers and a normal W3 remote cable off the master drawer? And does anyone have part numbers?

I'm just curious because I recently came into an XTL configured for W3 and I'd like to know how the dual-radio kit goes together, should the urge ever strike.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Dual radio XTL5000 W3 configuration is covered in 9964416H03. Basically, there is a special Y cable, 3064426H01, that connects to each drawer, which also provides one ignition sense lead, two speaker connectors, one emergency footswitch lead, and a special quick-disconnect that mates with a special W3 control head, PMN1035A. And of course you have to have the Multi-Radio flash option, which they say is only orderable at the factory...
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

akardam wrote:and a special quick-disconnect that mates with a special W3 control head, PMN1035A.
This intrigues me. I wonder if it's just the connector that makes it special, or if it contains different firmware than a HMN4044.

I assume the drawers use normal W3 TIBs?
akardam

Post by akardam »

There's no indication that they do not, so I would assume so until provided with evidence to the contrary.
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

motorola_otaku wrote:
akardam wrote:and a special quick-disconnect that mates with a special W3 control head, PMN1035A.
This intrigues me. I wonder if it's just the connector that makes it special, or if it contains different firmware than a HMN4044.

Yes and Yes. It is a HMN4044 with a different cable and the radios use the W3 TIB.

tpg
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

The Pager Geek wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote:

Yes and Yes. It is a HMN4044 with a different cable and the radios use the W3 TIB.
Hmm. Okay, chew on this for a minute:
-The control head connector pin-out on a W3 XTL TIB is the same as an Astro Spectra. It has to be, because in a single-radio configuration it uses the same remote cable and HMN4044 head as an Astro Spectra.
-In an Astro Spectra configured to use a W3 control head, you can go into the Radio Options menu and select the Multi-Radio Option. Go ahead, try it.

So here's where I'm going with this: might it be possible to use this kit to tie a couple of W3 Astro Spectras together HRR-style? If I had a spare $400 lying around I might be inclined to give it a shot, just for academic purposes.
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

motorola_otaku wrote: Hmm. Okay, chew on this for a minute:
-The control head connector pin-out on a W3 XTL TIB is the same as an Astro Spectra. It has to be, because in a single-radio configuration it uses the same remote cable and HMN4044 head as an Astro Spectra.
-In an Astro Spectra configured to use a W3 control head, you can go into the Radio Options menu and select the Multi-Radio Option. Go ahead, try it.

So here's where I'm going with this: might it be possible to use this kit to tie a couple of W3 Astro Spectras together HRR-style? If I had a spare $400 lying around I might be inclined to give it a shot, just for academic purposes.

That's all fine and good until you try to assign the "AUX" button to the control head. Won't work. You can get it all setup, and functioning as a dual radio setup, but you wont be able to switch radios. Been there, done that.

If you really want to give it a try, you don't need to buy the special cable. Just split all the control lines from the W3 to the two radios and power up.
tsunami_australia

I've seen some documentation somewhere stating that the W3, 03 and 05 heads should be able to dual-brick the XTLs, is this true?

Also, when on the dual brick combo with either a W3 or an 03 HHCH, when you press ch up/down ptt etc does it only operate on one radio or do both radios go up and down channel etc simultaneously and transmit simultaneously? Or can you select which radio to change channel/options and tx or phone/selcall etc on?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No support for dual radio using O3 or O5 heads. Rumors abounded that dual radio would be released for the O3 head but it never happened.
tsunami_australia

Thankyou for clearing that p escomm.

So another question, would the W3 and 03 TIB be different? I'm assuming so but it's wise to ask. Also are W3 TIBs still available? I was told when I got my 03 they were on the way out (I had ordered W3 and they told me to swap it to 03).
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yes, the TIBs are quite different, and the O3/O5 TIB includes a faceplate but the W3 TIB does not. W3 TIBs are still available, but I suspect they'll be marked for cancel upon depletion once the APX series has its full rollout. There's a handful of alphabet soup agencies still rolling with the dual W3 setup.
tsunami_australia

escomm wrote:Yes, the TIBs are quite different, and the O3/O5 TIB includes a faceplate but the W3 TIB does not. W3 TIBs are still available, but I suspect they'll be marked for cancel upon depletion once the APX series has its full rollout. There's a handful of alphabet soup agencies still rolling with the dual W3 setup.

Ok, would the W3 TIB be the same for the XTL5000 and the Astro Spectra? I'm just thinking along the lines of if stocks are being depleted it might be worth getting the head, cables and TIBs now and the extra brick later. So working on this thought, what is the cost of the 2 TIBS right back to the head?

Also does either the XTL or Spectra need a different flash for the head change or some other major software change?

Will an XTL5000 dual brick to an Astro Spectra (1 XTL & 1 Spectra to 1 head)? Just asking as I'm stretching to afford the extra brick atm and spectras are going cheaper. If the XTL will dual with the Astro Spectra, will it also dual with the conventional spectra?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but unlike Philips PRM80s which have a lot of documentation (and I know have a LOT of knowledge on) the Moto stuff is more of a mystery with less coverage and asking is the only way to learn about what I need.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No the pins and thus TIBs are totally different, XTL has 80 pins on the brick side
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Part numbers for the W3 TIB and flex are HLN6885B and 3085019F01, respectively. They are their own beast. Do NOT plug a W4/5/7/9 head into one or you will let the magic smoke out.

As far as your other questions go, the Search option is your friend. Spectras, Astro Spectras, and XTLs are all mutually exclusive as far as interconnection goes.
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

Here's the scoop:

You need two 5K mobile radios, preferable both HIGH POWER or the buttons on the HHCH will be screwy. You need to get the radios upgraded so that both radios have the G474AB option. There IS software out there that allows this to be done in the field. Any corrupt M$$ Tech should be able to do this for you.

You will need the DUAL RADIO TIB as stated above for EACH radio. This TIB is DIFFERENT than a plain vanilla W3 TIB. Get the special cable 3064426H01 (It might be an H02 now). Do NOT TRY TO DUPLICATE this cable. I failed and you probably will also. ANY W3 head seems to work but that screwy control head cable is needed.

Program the secondary radio first. Get a few features, modes and zones in it. Then LAST, program it as a SECONDARY radio and set it aside. There are like THREE places in the RSS that you must tell the radio that it is a MULTIPLE RADIO and whether it is the PRIMARY or SECONDARY radio.

Next program the PRIMARY radio. ALL the Control Head buttons MUST match on both radios.

Cobble it all together and Wella, Wella, Chitty, Chitty Bang, Bang! Now go and find a flashlight to carry since there doesn't seem to be any way to set the control head contrast on the W3 head on a 5K like there is on an Astro Spectra and it's gonna be a purple b**** to see.

This is the short version but it will steer you in the right direction and with a slight amount of intuition you'll come out OK.

Any comments or questions, just ask.

73's

FY
I have a Halcyon TIMS. It has an audio spectrum analyzer.
I have an IFR 1200. It has an audio distortion analyzer.
I can test and alter the audio response and distortion of my analog radio system to make it sound better.
I have a pair of socks.
Why would I want to put them in my mouth just so I could sound like I'm using a DMR radio?
VZCCP4
New User

Post by VZCCP4 »

Okay, please forgive my question, I'm not a tech, just an radio user.

I have a XTL5000 and rather than install yet another control head, will the O5 control operate two radios? There are ports on the back of the head to support the hardware. Did I understand that is possible?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

VZCCP4 wrote:Okay, please forgive my question, I'm not a tech, just an radio user.

I have a XTL5000 and rather than install yet another control head, will the O5 control operate two radios? There are ports on the back of the head to support the hardware. Did I understand that is possible?
No. You can only run dual radio with one control head on the XTL with the W3 HHCH
tsunami_australia

I think we ALL want 03 heads on XTVA's and dual brick jobs and whilst there are stories of 03 SP stuff around I've not personally seen any pictures proving this case.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”