VHF Astro Saber Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FireGuy
Batboard $upporter

VHF Astro Saber Question

Post by FireGuy »

Model # H04KDC9PW5AN......................will it do a freq such as 155.6775 ?

I'm a little confused regarding the splinter channel vs narrow band stuff.

Thanks
DPL

Re: VHF Astro Saber Question

Post by DPL »

Splinter channel refers to the spacing between frequencies. The new standard for VHF is 7.5 kHz; the old was 15 kHz. Narrow band vs. wide band refers to the transmit deviation. Wideband is 5 kHz deviation and narrowband is 2.5 kHz deviation. The two subjects are different but it's confusing because the splinter channels are being introduced as a result of the narrow band requirement, so they are often discussed in the same context.

I just tried programming 155.6775 in my VHF Astro Saber and it works fine. That frequency is not an issued one as far as I know; the nearest valid ones are 155.6725 and 155.680 (at least in the US). The software doesn't care about that, though.

To operate in narrow band mode on the Astro Saber you need to go to Conventional -> Conventional Personality -> (personality number) -> TX options tab -> Transmit deviation and set the dropdown box to 2.5 kHz.

All Astro Sabers are capable of narrow band mode. I don't know if all of them do splinter channels, but I suspect so. Someone who knows can confirm/deny this.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I did the same setup on an 05.02.00 CPS and got the same results. No flags showed on the VIEW screen so it must work regardless of what frequency you type in...or almost so.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

As has been stated, it will work...

BUT:

Your radio needs to have later firmware to accept splinter frequencies. I had a 512k Astro Saber with I think R04.xx.xx or 05.xx.xx and it would not do splinter frequencies.
Jake

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”