ASTRO SPECTRA W4 to W3 downgrade HELP

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

allplowedout
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

ASTRO SPECTRA W4 to W3 downgrade HELP

Post by allplowedout »

I know this is asked every so often but I cant seem to find a thread with start to completion of whats needed.

I have a uhf astro spectra w4 and vhf w5, looking to step both down to w3 hhch,
I have two new hhch units but need to know other than a codeplug or S record, what else I need to procure?

I have heard I need cable hkn6096b between head and radio. Can anyone confirm?

Also, how is the unit turned on once hhch is connected?

If anyone is willing to do the mod and not have it cost horribly expensive and are somewhat local to me I would be interested in having the work done.

these radios are currently dash mount and other is remote mount but low/mid power sized chassis as well.

PM with any offers for parts for sale to complete this upfit.

Thanks for reading.
4n6inv

Re: ASTRO SPECTRA W4 to W3 downgrade HELP

Post by 4n6inv »

I hate to break it to you, but that's no easy task. First; you're going to have to "find" someone who can reflash the vocon board. W-4 will only do 128 channels. W-3 does 255. Plus, the diferent features on the control head vs. HHCH. You have to have the W-3 interface board for the radio, itself, and you'll have to buy the Y cable that runs between the radio and the HHCH. That's what you get your taps for ignition sense, and speaker from. Good news is; you can plug the one from the back of your dash mount into the split off on the Y cable. Sorry; I wish it were easier...

I don't remember what the W-3 Interface board costs, but yes; you have to use it. Or; let me clarify; there are work arounds, but I damn well suggest that you use it! The Y cable is surprisingly only $65.oo dealer. As far as making the vocon holy; you're on your own, unless someone wants to PM you with an offer.
allplowedout

Post by allplowedout »

Thanks for the lengthy reply!
I knew it was involved but I had heard all was required was the Y cable and some sort of S record in conjunction with depot or labtool.

I can get the y cable in a weklek that's no issue.

I would like to know if anyone has this referenced interface board for sale or swap.

I can offer in trade for a y cable and interface board trade of a high power UHF spectra with a3 HHCH, y cable was cut when removed from the truck it was in. Comes with speaker.

I would swap this and or Astro saber one in UHF for someone who can "upgrade" the s record or whatever programming wise internally is required to get it to accept the HHCH

Anyone interested?

Please post any suggestions and or pm me with any offers in trade.

I also have a UHF spectra and some federal signal traffic director bars including new controllers to offer in trade, swap, or whatever works!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Please post inquiries about wanting to buy or trade parts in the FSWT forum, not here.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

You mentioned a Y cable from a high powered Spectra. If it wasn't an Astro Spectra; it won't work. You won't get audio. The P/N should have a rev. B at the end of the number. The P/N is identical, except the A rev. works with the analog Spectras. I think the B rev. will work with either but I'm not positive. I am postive that you have to have the B rev. Y cable if it's an Astro Spectra and W-3.
d119

Post by d119 »

allplowedout wrote:Also, how is the unit turned on once hhch is connected?
HHCH has a power button on the top, it's one of the black ones though I don't recall if it's the left or right.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

It's the top left button.
allplowedout

Post by allplowedout »

hi thanks for the replies regarding this, apperciate the heads up on the 'B" revision requirement on the cable,
SORRY for straying a bit, didnt mean to make this a improper placed post.

If anyone has any other pointers regarding this up-fit or downgrade or have done it and wanted to share some pointers please post or PM me I would really appreciate it.

I have updated my post in the for sale area regarding the interface board I seek.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

If you can get your vocon "healed", it's no big deal. And; it's an excellent setup. I have two and one with the remote siren DEK box stashed in my console.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”