Motorola XTL5000 O3 Head

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jamesonp

Motorola XTL5000 O3 Head

Post by Jamesonp »

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an XTL5000 that came with an O5 head. I was cursing around eBay to look for accessories and came across the O3 head. This looks exactly like what I want to be able to install this radio in my car. The only problem is that the auction doesn't come with the cable that attaches the head to the physical radio. Can anyone provide me with the model number of the cable or another place to obtain the cable?

Thank you,
Jameson
akardam

Re: Motorola XTL5000 O3 Head

Post by akardam »

Strictly speaking you don't need a cable. The O3 will plug right into the tranceiver body, on the TIB on the front of the radio.

However, that only really works if you're driving an early 90's vintage Ford pick'em'up and can slap the radio under the dash. If you want to extend the control head, use PMLN4958_. If you want to similarily extend the accessory connector (speaker, ignition sense, etc), or you have a high power brick, you'll need PMLN4959_.
Jamesonp

Post by Jamesonp »

Hi akardam,

Thank you for your response. It doesn't look like the control head has a cable attached to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1156

That is the cable I will likely need. Is that the same as PMLN4958A?

Thanks!
Jameson
akardam

Post by akardam »

In that case you'll need PMLN4961_.
Jamesonp

Post by Jamesonp »

Thank you akardam!

Jameson
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

"Motorola XTL 5000 remote control head O3 (head only, no cables), these control heads are all in great condition, tested working prior to shipping to me but as I lack the radio and cable, no test has been done, so sold as is." Also notice the interesting artifact on the top center of the display. Could be bad lighting in the photo or a burned up LCD.

Honestly; it sounds like a screw job to me. Why would someone have a quantity of 0-3 control heads that are missing the cable, if they are in working condition? He says that they were "tested working" before they were shipped to him, but they're being sold "as is" since he has no way to test them. Something just doesn't add up... The way I read it; he's selling ONLY the control head, with no cable, what so ever attached - much less an extension cable.

My Spidey senses are tingling... But; I've been wrong before. Also; the starting price is suspiciously low.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Your Spidey senses need recalibration.

Zoom into the picture and you'll discover that the "mark" on the display is the reflection of a light fixture on the ceiling when the photo was taken.

He's got 100% positive feedback, including several sales to several buyers of that exact item.

I agree it's a little weird, but then again, I've got ~40 XTL1500 control heads sitting here, and precisely zero bricks to test them on.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

tvsjr,

While I understand your point (and; yes; I did check his feedback) me Spidey senses just don't represent everyone on this board. Nor; do I claim them to be 100%. Hence the disclaimer: "I've been wrong before." Maybe wrong in this one. He does have 100% feedback, including some ambiguous feedback on the O-3's. ( He/she also had a LOT of private sales, which raises a red flag) Hence; my caution. I've been doing this a LOT of years and have a LOT of burn scars. I just want to spare anoyone else the same; if I can. I'm not demonizing him, wholesale; it just sounds too good to be true, and often it is. If I thought he was a total fraud, I'd have said so. Just be cautious. I consider myself to be a realistic risk taker, but; I don't think I'd do this deal. Again; I may be wrong! Sure as hell wouldn't be the first time... Nor, the last. But; with only a 56 total rating and most of his/her gear being top tier; I am suspicious, to say the least as to the legitimicy of the product...

Incidentaly; the "reflection" that you refer to - the jury's still out - in my opinion. May be; may not. I see it both ways - "conclusion" is Inconclusive to me. All the more reason NOT to take the bait, in my opinion. And; BTW; 4n6inv is an acronym for "Forensics Investigator." This ain't my first rodeo. I've examined over 11,500 high level death cases. I'm solid on target most of the time ; but, I'm not 100% perfect. May not be in this case, either. Just my opinion. (Yes; that is me in the photo, examining a man who had his brains blown out on New Years Eve, some years ago.) I wish I still had that much hair! Happy New Year!

With greatest respect,

Jim
Last edited by 4n6inv on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

I see that the seller of these heads has also sold and currently lists number of XTS4000 units in the $700 -$800 range as well as some other Motorola products.

A few months ago, I noticed that at least two similarly priced XTS4000 listings -- one from Southern California and one from the UK -- had pictures where the item had been placed on the identical background for the photos. This was a wooden table or floor and you could clearly see the texture. When I sent a question to the US seller about this, he responded that both he and the guy in the UK were actually selling items for someone in China. The response also indicated that the radios were not necessarily actually in the US at the time they were listed.

This is speculation but the statements in the current ebay listing could indicate that something similar is going on with the O3 heads. It would make sense that they were sent to him/her as "tested good" for sale or resale but that the seller has no personal ability to test them. Could it be that both the O3 heads and the other radios marketed by this seller came from salvage or excess production runs that someone overseas managed to obtain? That would explain a lot.

Perhaps someone has actually dealt with this seller or knows the facts?
akardam

Post by akardam »

Guys, it's up to anyone individually to decide if they want to deal with someone on eBay or not, that discussion is outside of the scope of this board. If the OP has any other questions regarding the hardware itself, please post away. Otherwise, eBay discussions are off topic.
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

Sorry if my response was OT.

I thought that it was okay in light of all the prior discussions about panter and his radios. I was just trying to find out whether anyone knew where these things were coming from.
cbus

Post by cbus »

Ive purchased several times from him, each time got exactly what was described......
Jamesonp

Post by Jamesonp »

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the replies. I went ahead and purchased the O3 head and received it yesterday. I'm still waiting on the cable from Motorola to fully test it. So far it's exactly as was described.

I figure this is a gamble as there is no way I'm going to pay Motorola $995 for this O3 head. If I end up losing the $200 invested on this, I will just sell the O3 head for parts and attempt to recoup part of my investment.

Thank you,
Jameson
sledude
What radios do you own?: QuantarV&U,ASpec,XTL,XTS

Post by sledude »

Can anyone tell me if there are two different firmware versions for these heads with the older and newer XTL 5000?

Thanks.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

There are different firmware versions for every major release of radio firmware. You need to sync the heads
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing the 03 cable (PMLN4961) that is connected directly to the base of the 03 HHCH? How the heck do you REMOVE the cable? Twist/turn it 90 degrees, and then pull it straight off, or what? Are there any special techniques or "tricks" involved that make it easier to do? Looks like it might be a bit dicey, but I don't know as I have never tried to do this. I'm hesitant to attempt it without being armed with the R&R procedure beforehand. I don't see anything in the pertient Service Manual(s) covering the replacement procedure for the PMLN4961 cable, but I could have easily missed it.

At $997 a pop, I don't want to bust the 03 head and/or its cable by trying to take it off for the sake of learning, but I'd sure like to know how to do it. I've been around the block enough times to know that the inevitable situation will arise where one of our users will damage their 03 cable, and I'd defintely rather be able to replace the cable, as opposed to having to purchase a new 03 head. It's a darn nice CH, to be sure, but IMHO it's also WAY overpriced.

Thanks, guys, in advance, for any help on this!
akardam

Post by akardam »

ASTROMODAT wrote:I don't see anything in the pertient Service Manual(s) covering the replacement procedure for the PMLN4961 cable, but I could have easily missed it.
CTRL-F and type "disassembly"...
sledude
What radios do you own?: QuantarV&U,ASpec,XTL,XTS

Post by sledude »

Ok thanks for the info, anyone know what a pmln4961 is worth?
Thinking of buying a 03 off Ebay without the cord, just trying to get an idea what the two will cost in total.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

akardam wrote:
ASTROMODAT wrote:I don't see anything in the pertient Service Manual(s) covering the replacement procedure for the PMLN4961 cable, but I could have easily missed it.
CTRL-F and type "disassembly"...
Thanks, akardam! Now that I can actually see the disassembly procedure, it's really simple, albeit it wasn't at all obvious until I actually saw it. Not sure I could easily explain it to someone else, either. I guess a picture (or a drawing, as in this case) is worth a 1,000 words!
Jamesonp

Post by Jamesonp »

sledude wrote:Ok thanks for the info, anyone know what a pmln4961 is worth?
Thinking of buying a 03 off Ebay without the cord, just trying to get an idea what the two will cost in total.
I got mine for $180 shipped off eBay and then had to purchase the $47 cable from Motorola. You're probably looking at around $300-$350 used as they sell new for about $995.
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

I'm doing the samething, converting my O5 to O3. I need the TIB for the radio. Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the O3 TIB or does anyone have a used one?

Thanks
Big BOB
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Big BOB wrote:I'm doing the samething, converting my O5 to O3. I need the TIB for the radio. Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the O3 TIB or does anyone have a used one?

Thanks
Big BOB
If your 05 was a remote, then you use the same TIB, if it wasn't remoted, and you want a TIB and the remote cable for the 03 head, I have a couple of extra's, PM me.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Big BOB wrote:I'm doing the samething, converting my O5 to O3. I need the TIB for the radio. Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the O3 TIB or does anyone have a used one?

Thanks
Big BOB
O3/O5 TIB is PMUN1036D, same for the high or low power, but the interconnect flex will be different.
torce_de_force
New User

Post by torce_de_force »

it may be late for my appearance but i am happy to be here to make you folks reasonably assured of any doubts about those items i sold and still being sold on ebay. i am an extra license ham radio operator and i happen to be able to secure a series of used motorola radios which have been placed on ebay for sale over a year, comparing with those of you who's been around ebay selling similar radio stuff, i'm just another new entry, but i'm honest, i answer any question raised by buyers, i have nothing to hide away or anything questionable on what i sell, they're all used radios and they're sold as is, when i said the o-3s've been tested i mean they were tested, not by myself but my source prior to having them shipped to me. i also sell xts4000's, i'm even selling apx7000 radios i acquired recently, they're out there on ebay and you check them out yourselves, check also on feedback on those apx's, if you want i can refer you to those who purchased apx radio from me and ask them their opinions about the radios and what their opinions about me, i make a little money on the sale, at the same time i also find it quite rewarding to make friends while selling radios on ebay. although i wrote in the description that all sales are as-is but almost all the time when there's something of little concern to the buyers i would never hesitate to help buyers by sending them replacements to show the buyers that i care, also assure them that they'll find it comfortably happy to deal with me because i will never ignore any of their questions, request for help, there are buyers out there who are sometimes buying the apx radios with little or no experience, e.g they'll contact me when they don't know how to add channels, conv personalities, or even when they believe the radio was defective as it allows the buyer to program only one channel, because the radio was configured with only one conv personality, so on so forth, but i never left any one of them without help for the simpliest function, btw, reason why some of the listings were set to private sale was totally a consideration for the buyers' sake, i saw many other sellers do this as all of us believe it does no harm at all to buyer since they do not wish their identity or ebay id to be disclosed on such purchase, maybe they will later on resell these radios and it's their private right not to disclose the history, i didn't make this up, it's just an available function provided by ebay for all sellers

many buyers became friends and that's a great deal of what i enjoy and that will continue to be the case

thank you again for purchase from someone so inexperienced such as myself and remain fairly happy with what you purchased.

[Edit: While I'm not sure this conversation really belongs on the board or not, I'm going to give this gent the opportunity to present his case. Please use good judgment in your responses. -d119]
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

invulnerable wall of text

the enter key is your friend
torce_de_force
New User

Post by torce_de_force »

hah hah, see the problem with me when i start writing, as almost always, is that i write long sentences, and i never used the shift key for upper case letters, and i was too lazy to break paragraph, the only time when i write like normal and respect upper case & paras is when i write to officials such as the uscis or county gov:)

i'm going to consider changing this bad habit and give some reasonable basic style to writing.

Have a great day!
jhansen27
New User

Post by jhansen27 »

Has anyone explored the claims that the Motorola O3 control head may be adapted to the Icom IC-7000? I have emailed the sellers who claim this, and they will not answer beyond stating "this is what we are told". Sounds like a BS job to me, however I am not ruling out the possibility. I DO understand that it is feasable to route the IC-7000 video output to a remote color LCD, and I am curious if the HM-151 and Motorola O3 share a common control language to communicate with the radio chassis. Any comments from the peanut gallery?

Jeremy Hansen
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The IC-7000 control head video out is just plain old composite video. The O3 head speaks its own protocols over CAN bus, and the actual display picture is generated inside the head.

Just ignorant Chinese sellers with no idea what they're talking about.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”