External Speaker Volume Pot

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

External Speaker Volume Pot

Post by Mikey »

I'm wanting to wire a volume pot inside a standard Motorola 13 watt external speaker and plug it into the 16 pin connector on a radius mobile. I know motorola radios can be picky about ground when it comes to the external speaker leads, what is the easiest way to wire a volume pot with an external speaker and not fry the audio circuit in the radio?? I'm trying to use an external speaker along with the internal speaker, the external speaker is going to be just on the other side of the wall from the radio in another room and i would like for it to have its own volume control right on the speaker so they can turn it down or completly off if need be.

Mike
Bill_G

Re: External Speaker Volume Pot

Post by Bill_G »

A 50ohm pot across the ext spkr out leads (15 and 16 if I recall correctly). Spkr connects to wiper and common (pin 16 IIRC).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I tried both a 50ohm and a 100 ohm and i get full volume at the max point of the wiper, but when i go to decrease it, it cuts the speaker off all together.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You may have log pots rather than linear pots. You need a linear pot.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

They shoud be wirewound pots, I have been using 500 ohm 5 watt (i think) wirewound in series with my external speakers.
A carbon pot will not do it, I am not even sure a carbon pot has a wattage rating.

Other problem you may have once you get this working is someone adjusting the volume on the radio which will also change the volume on the external speaker
Cause Motorola said so that's why
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Where would i get a Wire Wound pot? I am aware that if the main radio volume gets turned down it also affects the external speaker, but they hardly ever adjust the volume once they get it set on the main radio.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

You might consider an L-pad. These are designed for adjusting speakers.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=260-248

That's a 15 Watt one, they have larger ones too.
n3eg
What radios do you own?: HT1550 v/u, XTS2500-3 FPP, etc

Post by n3eg »

At our shop we use a 15 ohm pot across the speaker leads (1 and 15/16) and the speaker goes from 1 to the wiper of the pot.

Side note: some speaker/pot combinations have enough room where you can drill a hole centered in front of the speaker and mount the pot there. The Micor/HSN9236 square plastic speaker is one of them.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Radio Shack carries L pads if you prefer to go that route.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Bill_G wrote:Radio Shack carries L pads if you prefer to go that route.
Do they still carry them? I couldn't find them on the website, all I could find were the transformer type volume controls which are more expensive and also much larger.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

jackhackett wrote:
Bill_G wrote:Radio Shack carries L pads if you prefer to go that route.
Do they still carry them? I couldn't find them on the website, all I could find were the transformer type volume controls which are more expensive and also much larger.
I could be wrong. I haven't checked in a while. It was one of the few things they sold that was actually useful.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”