Centracom board issue

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

webby52
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XTS2500, APX6500

Centracom board issue

Post by webby52 »

I procured a presumed working BLN6654 board that I installed for a new radio install to our console. It uploaded ok, and I can transmit with it on the console, but there is nothing coming out on the recieve side. Swapped in another card, works great. All the jumpers are switched to the same as the working card as far as I can tell. This card did have a daughter board on it when I got it, and i just unplugged it and removed it from main board. Is this the problem? The card slot is not big enough to install the board with the daughter part unless I change the TDM and install it somewhere else in the cage and move the telco lines.
Jim202

Re: Centracom board issue

Post by Jim202 »

webby52 wrote: This card did have a daughter board on it when I got it, and i just unplugged it and removed it from main board. Is this the problem? The card slot is not big enough to install the board with the daughter part unless I change the TDM and install it somewhere else in the cage and move the telco lines.

Duh, don't you think that it might work better if you put it back in one piece?

Jim
webby52

Post by webby52 »

From what I could find on the web the daughter board was for tone generation. Motorola Radio Control Module BLN6654D 84D84315T04+84E82016R01
d119

Post by d119 »

WRT the daughtercard, it was either a DC card to make it a DC BIM, or it was a TLOBL (Tone Line Operated Busy Light) normally used on a trunking BIM.

Unless those options are enabled in programming, the presence or lack thereof of any daughtercards doesn't affect the BIM whatsoever.

So DUH, taking the daughtercard off doesn't make a difference. Clearly whoever made that comment knows nothing of Centracom.

It sounds like you have a bad BIM if you can swap in another card and all works fine.

How can the card slot not be big enough??? I don't follow you there... It should fit with or without the daughtercard in any slot. The only things that should be in the center two slots are COIM's (or TOMI's if it's a II+).
webby52

Post by webby52 »

WIth the daughter board on the main board it seems the slot isnt wide enough to slide it in and not make contact with the next board.
webby52

Post by webby52 »

WIth the daughter board on the main board it seems the slot isnt wide enough to slide it in and not make contact with the next board.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

webby52 wrote:WIth the daughter board on the main board it seems the slot isnt wide enough to slide it in and not make contact with the next board.
It should, its made for it...

BTW - You have a TBIM, as indicated by d119

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
d119

Post by d119 »

The tolerances are pretty tight, but the boards should fit in there without shorting out. But if you don't need TLOBL or DC, and are going strictly tone keying or E&M with an AUX II above the BIM, you don't need any daughtercards attached to the BIM.

For whatever it's worth, and future reference to anyone that might come across this thread, there are three daughter cards that can attach to the BIM:

1. DC Keying module, which when enabled in the CDM, allows the BIM to perform DC keying of remote base stations.

2. Tone Line Operated Busy Light (TLOBL) which is normally used in trunking BIM's but can also be used to indicate to remote or parallel CEB's that the resource is busy with another console.

3. SPI/DPI (Smart Phone Interface / Direct Phone Interface) which allows the BIM to handle telephone calls and radio/telephone patches. These require special firmware on the BIM, as well as jumper changes to indicate to the BIM what it's supposed to do.
webby52

Post by webby52 »

So I'm not reciving audio because the board is bad or its setup for trunking not conventional?
d119

Post by d119 »

Bad board.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”