Help! Tone Keying apx 7500

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tvining

Help! Tone Keying apx 7500

Post by tvining »

I have to give the big picture: (sorry). I am installing a new Siemens dispatch center. However- after I purchased that ($250k), my company replaced all my radios. I now have a Motorola Apx 7500 consolette. It's a nice rig, but isn't "tone keyed", so Siemens won't change the channel on the radio, making it effectively useless to me! As part of the new radios, I had to turn in my older, Siemens compatible radios.

So, does anyone know of a fix? Siemens has nothing to help me.

I'm desperate!
RFguy

Re: Help! Tone Keying apx 7500

Post by RFguy »

From the data sheet I have, tone remote operation is standard on the APX7550 consolette. Maybe it needs to be enabled.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Most consoles have a selection on just how each channel is controlled. I am not familiar with your console so could be all wet with what I am saying. There is a chance that the console is an IP control only. However, the console company should be able to tell you what your choices are to accomplish what your trying to do.

It might be worth your while to dig into the abilities of the console and see what features and functions it has.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

If there is any question about what is coming out of the console start with a simple tone remote to the consolette to see if you can get it to key and change channels. Is it possible the APX consolette that was ordered is the digital type as opposed to the tone type?
tvining

Post by tvining »

I will inquire which consolette we have. Thx!
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Dorf411 wrote:Is it possible the APX consolette that was ordered is the digital type as opposed to the tone type?
Is there really different models in the APX for digital and tone control, or are you making an assumption based on the Astro Spectra/XTL5000 consolette options?

When I look at the features, it shows tone remote being standard for the 2 styles of APX consolette (full featured front panel and limited feature front panel).
xmo

Post by xmo »

RFguy, you are correct.

The APX7500 Consolette System Planner says:

"The APX 7500 Consolette supports Tone Remote Control on each model; ordering of the L146 option is no longer required."
d119

Post by d119 »

You must connect to the APX 7500 consolette's wireline card via a network connection over USB. Details on how to make this connection are in the APX 7500 consolette manual CD.

I'd spell it out here, but it's so unnecessarily complicated and cavorted that I have to refer to the manual every time I do it.

There is an associated username and password, I can't recall the default username, but the password is always the station serial number with the alpha's in caps (ex. 123ABC1234 not 123abc1234). Login might be newuser, I don't recall.

Once connected and logged in, you can then configure the station for keying type (tone, E&M, digital, etc.), circuit type (2-wire/4-wire), half/full duplex, etc.

Keep in mind Tone Keying allows limited functionality vs. full control of the radio (IP/Digital).

Again, unnecessarily complicated.
tvining

Post by tvining »

Thank you for the help on the 7500s, I'm now going to do the same on 2 2500's. :-D

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”