CEB BIM Addressing

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmfirefighter20
What radios do you own?: /\/\ AS, APX7000

CEB BIM Addressing

Post by jmfirefighter20 »

We're looking to add an additional radio to our system to handle all of our "mutual aid" dispatching (ie: other town's dispatch goes down, we take over on their frequency). I've got the radio, and it's already piped down to our CEB room, but has not been punched into any of the card cage blocks. This radio was at one time connected, but was abandoned in place about three years ago, so they just cut the wires out of the punch blocks and left them hanging.......

Our CEB has four cages, with 1 being the bottom and 4 being the top. I am trying to determine what the addressing system for the cards is. We recently had a card put into cage 4 for another new site, and that was addressed as "8" since it went into slot 8. But beyond cage 4 none of the other cards seem to follow the slot=BIM address convention. I understand they are all HEX addresses, but after the first card cage, do the BIM addresses increase sequentially?

Once I get the card located and addressed correctly, I feel pretty confident with punching down the TX/RX and setting up the CDM. Moto's manuals on this thing aren't the most helpful kind.....
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
RFguy

Re: CEB BIM Addressing

Post by RFguy »

Card addressing has nothing to do with card location. BIM's go into slots 1,2,3,4,7,8,9 or 10 (not slot 5 or 6), in any cage.

I would check your existing BIM"s and address the new one to the next available TDM beside the existing BIM's
jmfirefighter20

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to pick a compatable card, address it as say "9" if it's an available number, and pop the card in (with the appropriate CDM changes, of course)?
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

The card you need for to add a base station is a BIM (Base Interface Module), you'll know it by the potentiometer on the front. Find an unused TDM address by looking at your CDM, then add the resource in CDM configured as you need it with that address defined. The DIP switches on the front bottom of the card define the address in binary. The physical location has nothing to do with the TDM address, only where the audio from the BIM is pinned out on the punch block.

This article has a lot of useful info on TDM addresses and such:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p344696
-Jon
jmfirefighter20

Thanks Jon.

Now that that's done, of course in the two different manuals I have the punchblock configuration is different in each manual, off by one pin in one. When I punch the 4 wire down, the TX goes in the two wire position, and the RX goes in the four wire position, correct?
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
jmfirefighter20

Got it figured out.

In 4-wire, Line 1 - goes to the first pin, Line 1 + goes to the second pin, Line 2+ goes to the third pin, and Line 2- goes to the fourth pin.

System is now working. Not bad for my first time installing a BIM into a CEB and punching down a block!
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

Glad everything worked out!
-Jon
jmfirefighter20