GTR8000 Power Supplies

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RF1
New User

GTR8000 Power Supplies

Post by RF1 »

Anyone else having problems with GTR8000 power supplies? We have had 3 power supply failures on UHF repeater stations within the first year of installation on an FD system. These replaced Quantar stations that went for years without problems. We have also had problems with intermittent tone keying on these.
JeffFireRadio

Re: GTR8000 Power Supplies

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Yes. Motorola makes the greatest LMR systems in the world. However, we all know that each product line has its Achilles heel. Enter the GTR8000 power supply. We have lots of new stations (700-800mhz), staged by Motorola CCSI (tuned, aligned, etc.) and they fail from time to time in the field. The factory has been very good to us about fixing/replacing them for us. I'm pretty sure they're aware of what's up. Great stations, though. Best wishes with your GTRs.

- Jeff
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

RF1 wrote:Anyone else having problems with GTR8000 power supplies? We have had 3 power supply failures on UHF repeater stations within the first year of installation on an FD system. These replaced Quantar stations that went for years without problems. We have also had problems with intermittent tone keying on these.
Just wondering if said GTR's power input are protected by UPS or subject to Commercial power spikes
and outages?
fineshot1
NJ USA
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Mine are Transector protected...twice (commercial and generator) at shelter entry. Then, double rectified through a Liebert UPS. Can't beat that for clean.

- Jeff
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

JeffFireRadio wrote:Mine are Transector protected...twice (commercial and generator) at shelter entry. Then, double rectified through a Liebert UPS. Can't beat that for clean.

- Jeff
ok, just had to ask as it could be a major flaw without ups protection in a configuration.
fineshot1
NJ USA
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Yes. Motorola makes the greatest LMR systems in the world
That's a good one, lol. So, at one point many of the folks here were running stations on straight DC, which I can see the advantages. Let the rectifier take the hit rather than the radios. Haven't seen it done it some time recently. Always a design issue keeping a site on substantial UPS with DC battery back up to the stations. Its great to have the cleansing power of the ups, but for longevity on loss of ac, dc battery bank can't be beat. The stations always seem to have issues when the UPS gets to the end of the battery and the station never quite switches to DC properly.
I have kind of standardized on a large DC plant with the stations doing the ac to dc switching. External intelligent battery chargers to keep the dc bank happy and some transector and APC rack surge arrestor strips on the ac line cord side of the house. If I have to keep up some light ac equipment (cpu, switches, modems) I usually will use a site inverter that runs primarily from site ac, but will switch and invert to dc upon ac loss. Seems to work well with minimal blow ups and down time.

Rob
RF1
New User

Post by RF1 »

fineshot1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Anyone else having problems with GTR8000 power supplies? We have had 3 power supply failures on UHF repeater stations within the first year of installation on an FD system. These replaced Quantar stations that went for years without problems. We have also had problems with intermittent tone keying on these.
Just wondering if said GTR's power input are protected by UPS or subject to Commercial power spikes
and outages?
These are not on a UPS, they are fed from street power. I agree a UPS offers more protection, but shouldn't their power supply be designed to do just that? Other equipment at the same sites was not damaged. They went for over 10 years with Quantars without an issue. Having to use UPS's adds addtional expense and maintenance.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”