P25 Radio GPS & Portable Antenna Question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CommunicationsAlways
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: APX 7/7.5K, XG-100P/M, Liberty

P25 Radio GPS & Portable Antenna Question

Post by CommunicationsAlways »

I purchased a P25 multi-band portable radio with GPS satellite capabilities, but it only works with the GPS antenna attached to the speaker microphone (which I don't have now, but will purchase and cost around $300). Since the only information I need is latitude, longitude and altitude of a location, but don't need the mapping capability because I use paper or e-maps/charts about the local/region. That leaves me to wonder if it would be a good investment?

The other questions is some locations in the mountains were I travel there is very... bad VHF, UHF coverage (136-174 up to 512 MHz which are used). Would a 13+ inch whip antenna provide better coverage to contact aircraft in VHF-AM, VHF-FM, UHF and repeaters in those areas (I know that in a deep valley that would be impossible) when compared to a 6 inch portable antenna? If so what brand of antenna/s do you recommend?

I'm open to any suggestions.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: P25 Radio GPS & Portable Antenna Question

Post by FireCpt809 »

What radio are you talking about ? Not too many do AM air and FM P25
CommunicationsAlways

FireCpt809 wrote:What radio are you talking about ? Not too many do AM air and FM P25
Thales Liberty. Specifically looking for coverage in 136-174, 380-520 MHz.
CommunicationsAlways

Has anyone found or know where to buy a Thales Liberty GPS speaker mic, or a third party P25 GPS mic? Radio already has feature enabled, and Thales will not be manufacturing new GPS speaker mics.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”