CLN6960 w/intellirepeater fw external PTT

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

khw
What radios do you own?: Quantars, Quantros, APX, XTS..

CLN6960 w/intellirepeater fw external PTT

Post by khw »

Hi,

As mentioned, I have a Quantar with a CLN6960 SCM running Intellirepeater FW 20.14.520 and I'm trying to get external PTT to work running as a 6809 controller. I have tried from the MRTI interface and the 50pin telco, but no glory. If I swap the controller with a CLN6961 (or any other conventional SCM) it all works fine - so I know the cabling and options are correct. I also took the SIMM from a conventional SCM and installed it on the CLN6960 which also worked - which suggests that the SCM is okay too.

Does anyone know if external PTT is not supported or have any ideas on how to make it work?
Kevin
radioactive69

Re: CLN6960 w/intellirepeater fw external PTT

Post by radioactive69 »

There is two thing you'll need to do to use the 6960 in conventional astro or analog. First: there is a shut IC chip which needs to be modified by removing one shut jumper joining pins 1 and 16 or lift one of those legs. Pin 1 is marked by a white triangle marker and the chip it'self is white in position S701 (shunt 701).

Second: Software Download (flash upgrade/program firmware) the card with firmware R20.14.xxx must be conventional firmware Non-Intellirepeater NIR. This will blank the card with no personality and will reboot and fail. Write a valid conventional codeplug to the card as you would normally. If this fails to reboot the station into green/operational mode, rewrite it again (with a conventional personality NIR). There is a non back plane ID restricted (NIR) firmware floating around that can do this.

Now you can set up your wildcard tables to route PL indicate, COS indicate and audio (and several other functions too) to the 50pin.

The flash roms that are on the card should work in the flash upgrade. Some have told me they had issues with the double sided roms but, I haven't had trouble with them. It must have both rom sets/cards installed. It will now be a conventional card CLN6961 NIR card.
We are in the too much information age...
khw
What radios do you own?: Quantars, Quantros, APX, XTS..

Post by khw »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned, we swapped the SIMM with NIR firmware and confirmed it worked. This is a large commercial system and a firmware change would be impractical. It seems Motorola has a bug or just left that part of the code out of 6809 IR code.
Kevin
radioactive69

Post by radioactive69 »

If you want it to perform as a cln6961 the shunt must be removed. If you are swapping flash ROM, I don't think that will work to convert it to conventional. The boot1 and boot2 must be flashed to conventional, under software download. The wireline will also get flashed post flash from the scm after the station reboots.

If you are keeping it IR then you probably need a flash upgrade for each backplane ID from M. If you have a dealer you can contact them to put you in touch with engineer at M.
We are in the too much information age...

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”