Radio System Linking

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Radio System Linking

Post by Jim1348 »

We use both a 400 mHz MOTO TRBO system at work and have access to a statewide digital, trunked 800 mHz system. I am giving some thought to being able to link a talkgroup from each to the other for certain events. I am familiar with the Raytheon ACU-M, but I understand that their might be other choices, like Trident, as well. Anyway, I am interested from hearing from anybody here how well these work and pros and cons of the various choices available today.

http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/acu_m/
Astro Spectra

Re: Radio System Linking

Post by Astro Spectra »

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Jim1348 wrote:We use both a 400 mHz MOTO TRBO system at work and have access to a statewide digital, trunked 800 mHz system. I am giving some thought to being able to link a talkgroup from each to the other for certain events. I am familiar with the Raytheon ACU-M, but I understand that their might be other choices, like Trident, as well. Anyway, I am interested from hearing from anybody here how well these work and pros and cons of the various choices available today.

http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/acu_m/

Take a look at the RIOS gateway from Sytech Corp. Web site www.sytechcorp.com

They have installed a state wide system in virginia at most of the 911 county dispatch centers and the state police dispatch centers. Linked all kinds of radios from low band to 800 trunked systems.

Many of the federal government agencies are also using the RIOS gateways.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

There's the Raven Audio Bridge, and then there is the LYRIC box dev'd by the MOT Eng Larry Young.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

Bill_G -

What is this LYRIC box, (where do I find more info), and what's been anybody's experience with the RAVEN products?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

A LYRIC is a RIC built by Larry Young (the LY in LYRIC), and there isn't a ton of information on it. It wasn't widely distributed, though we see a lot of them because this is his stomping ground. He wanted a lot more configuration capability then was available over a decade ago as agencies were moving from conventional to 800 trunking systems. To this day, hundreds of these boxes interconnect talk groups back to conventional channels through control stations. Now, a lot of companies make similar products.

The Raven Bridge does something few others do - you can link more than two channels together. It's a purely hardware interface. No ip magic. No configuration software. Just wire it up, set the jumpers, set levels, let er rip. Very old school.
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...It's a purely hardware interface. No ip magic. ..."
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Raven 37600 series was old school but the M4 is state of the art and very flexible.

It has the ability to link multiple systems and multiple talkgroups together through IP connectivity.

Raven is small enough to be very responsive to customer needs. Highly recommended.
jmfirefighter20
What radios do you own?: /\/\ AS, APX7000

Post by jmfirefighter20 »

I will say however that the Raven M4 is a great product, but VERY VERY VERY finicky with programming. The software to program it has lots of tips and tricks to get everything running right. Their tech support is top notch though!
Joshua
W1DPT
Raymond, NH
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I may be reading this wrong, but down and dirty style you can just use a rick (or back to back wiring) with two mobile radios.

Make a new talk group on the Trbo system, example 800 x band. Program a UHF Trbo mobile to this talk group and connect to the appropriate 800 mobile, set levels and away you go. We have done this numerous times.

If you want the availability to turn on and off the the 800 to Trbo cross patch on a working talk group we have simply used the GPIO commands and pins to turn the "link" on and off from the portable units or supervisor radios.

No need to get all crazy with very expesnive bridges and such.
Just my 2 cents.

rob

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”