Remote control over POTS line?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dogwelder

Remote control over POTS line?

Post by Dogwelder »

I am tinkering with a project and I was wondering if anybody could provide some insight.

I have a Kenwood repeater hooked up to a Moto tone remote adapter and an MC1000 remote. I have it staged up locally so that I can transmit, receive, and disable repeat mode all through the MC1000.

I would eventually like to install the repeater in a remote location and control it via a POTS line. Is there a product on the market that would allow me to do this? This isn't meant for constant control and monitoring, but instead to allow me to dial up and enable/disable if something should go wrong.
One toke, you poor fool? Wait till you see those goddamn bats!
Bill_G

Re: Remote control over POTS line?

Post by Bill_G »

Most people do this over the air with dtmf. But, to answer your question - here's a kit for a four relay switcher with auto-answer. Use this to pass your tone control commands to your repeater, or use the box's inherent dtmf decode. Hope that helps.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

Thanks for the reply....that's almost what I'm looking for. While I could still use this to enable/disable, I still would like to be able to dial in and talk over the air with my deskset. I would need something that answers and holds the line open for me, interfacing directly into the tone remote adapter.

I'm aware of doing this with DTMF, but I wanted something a little more secure....and fancier.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

It's a bucket of relays. What you do with the relays is your project. If you want them to pass line audio to the radio, make it happen.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

It sounds to me like I would just bypass the relays at that point and install a splitter....I guess that hadn't occurred to me. Shouldn't I be concerned with voltages on the line since it is POTS as opposed to a dry pair?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The tone remote adapter is used to it. It's built for telco world including ring battery and sealing current appearing on the leads.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

Thanks Bill!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

My pleasure.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”