Quantar Howl

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4LHQ

Quantar Howl

Post by KG4LHQ »

Having some issue with the Quantar howl at the end of some transmissions. If you have not heard this sound then please Youtube "Motorola Quantar Howling" and you can hear it very clear and this is exactly what mine sounds like at times randomly. Any fix?!?
Bill_G

Re: Quantar Howl

Post by Bill_G »

A little help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRfvh0UTFHw

I've worked a problem like the video before. It's simulcast howl caused by local desense in the antenna. In our case, the antenna was too close to other structures. Busy site, and all antennas were in the same horizontal plane. Stupidest mess I had ever seen. So, if you have THAT howl, you probably have a bad antenna or duplexer someplace.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Using braided coax on the full-duplex side (i.e. anywhere between the duplexer output and antenna) will also cause that. BTFDT.
d119

Post by d119 »

motorola_otaku wrote:BTFDT.
huh?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

d119 wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote:BTFDT.
huh?
been there effing done that

IMD and desense from braided coax on a repeater feed line is a sore subject for me.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I agree. It can be anything in the transmission chain from the duplexer input to the antenna.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Window filters are your friend

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”