Connecting XPR5550 Control Station to MCC7500

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RICHRANSON
What radios do you own?: APX's, XTS's, Liberty

Connecting XPR5550 Control Station to MCC7500

Post by RICHRANSON »

I am in process of building out new MCC7500 dispatch consoles and the local Motorola Engineer advises I cannot connect an XPR5550 to the MCC7500 using the conventional channel gateways. Anyone else have this issue? What I am attempting to accomplish is to console patch one talkgroup from a UHF Trbo system to a common interop talkgroup on the phase II p25 system without using two radios and an ACU1000 to do so

Rich
Rich Ranson
Northport, Alabama
KD9Q (Formerly N9YAY)
d119

Re: Connecting XPR5550 Control Station to MCC7500

Post by d119 »

There isn't any technical reason this can't be done. It'll be double-vocoded audio (P25-II digital down to analog, then re-vocoded in the TRBO radio, and vice-versa), and likely won't sound very good, but you could wire the XPR 5550 to the CCGW using a standard E&M configuration on the CCGW side, or just connect the 5550 to a tone remote adapter, and use the CCGW in tone keying mode. E&M will be a much faster keyup time though.

You'll likely also want to disable all the tones on the XPR 5550 so that talk permit, channel free, etc. isn't going out over your trunked system, but that also depends on how you interface it.

Essentially all you need out of the XPR 5550 is TX audio, RX audio, PTT, and "Talkgroup Busy". TG Busy is your COR (E-Lead), PTT is your PTT (M-Lead), and, well, you get the picture.

What you WON'T have control over is channels (unless you go tone remote and configure channel steering on the 5550, that's an entirely different type of flying altogether) and features. But for a single talkgroup, this is entirely doable.

You'll want to make sure the TRBO side of things doesn't have any hang time, delays, etc. in the system-side that might tie up the P25-II talkgroup unnecessarily.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”