Motorola Spectra Tac receiver question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wb4gbi
New User
What radios do you own?: MTS, XTS, STX, MSF5K, MTR2K

Motorola Spectra Tac receiver question

Post by wb4gbi »

Greetings to the brain trust,

I have a micor series repeater that had a problem with its homebrew enclosure, so I purchased a spectra tac enclosure to install back in to the repeater. Here's the problem: The old interface provided a high-going COS (~5 volts) to the controller for COS. After putting the receiver together, and taking it back to the repeater site, I found out the hard way that when using the receiver in carrier squelch mode that there is no high going COS. Pin 11 on the audio control board goes open when unsquelched, and low when squelched. Has anyone used this output (modified or otherwise) to generate COS? Please email off list if you can help. timb447457(at) aol (dot) com. Thank you in advance!
Tim Berry WB4GBI
Knoxville, TN
www.wb4gbi.com
Jim202

Re: Motorola Spectra Tac receiver question

Post by Jim202 »

wb4gbi wrote:Greetings to the brain trust,

I have a micor series repeater that had a problem with its homebrew enclosure, so I purchased a spectra tac enclosure to install back in to the repeater. Here's the problem: The old interface provided a high-going COS (~5 volts) to the controller for COS. After putting the receiver together, and taking it back to the repeater site, I found out the hard way that when using the receiver in carrier squelch mode that there is no high going COS. Pin 11 on the audio control board goes open when unsquelched, and low when squelched. Has anyone used this output (modified or otherwise) to generate COS? Please email off list if you can help. timb447457(at) aol (dot) com. Thank you in advance!

Why don't you add a transistor to the line and make it do what you need.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

or a pull up resistor?
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Jim202 wrote:
wb4gbi wrote:Greetings to the brain trust,

Why don't you add a transistor to the line and make it do what you need.

Jim
That is pretty much what I had to do to make a spectra tac talk to a home-brew voter that I had over 10 years ago.
The receiver really isn't really COR friendly and it takes some fudging on the bench.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”