MSF5000 distorted/missing repeat audio

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w2pw
New User

MSF5000 distorted/missing repeat audio

Post by w2pw »

Hi folks. I searched the forum and didn't find an answer. I have an MSF-5000 438-470 C74CXB7106xx model. Line and MRTI audio works well, but internal repeat audio does not. If the external S-Com 7k controller is not connected, the station keys up properly but passthrough audio is almost not present. All you hear is crunchy distorted sound on the voice peaks. I have priority set as MR. With the controller present, wired to the MRTI as per WA1MIK's instructions, the repeat audio is usually very good, but in certain temperature or humidity or mood conditions, if a repeater user has strong audio, the distortion seems to mix in (meaning the horrible repeat audio interferes with the clean audio coming through the 7k). This effect is noticeable on voice peaks. If I ask the offending user to back off the mic, it goes away. I have tried the same control tray on another repeater, and the problem is not there. It seems the only thing left is the RF deck below the control tray. You may suggest "skip the internal repeater function and use the controller only", but the distortion mixes in with the clean audio whenever it feels like it. I'd say about 20% of the time or less, but hard to pin down and very annoying. Any ideas?

ALSO do the CXB trays need capacitor replacement? I only see the caution on the CLBs.

Thank you. Pres W2PW
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Re: MSF5000 distorted/missing repeat audio

Post by Doug »

If your using an external controller and the mrti for your signals, is there a reason why repeater is in your ptt priority? You may have a specific reason I guess inquiring minds would like to know why. It almost sounds like one is competing with the other.
Doug

I just read your post again and to me it sounds like an alignment problem. Not physically in the hardware but more in the service alignment.
May the Schwarz be with you.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”