astro tac receiver

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RTESTP25
New User

astro tac receiver

Post by RTESTP25 »

Does a stock astro tac receiver work with v.24? Does it need daughter board on line driver.
Bill_G

Re: astro tac receiver

Post by Bill_G »

RTESTP25 wrote:Does a stock astro tac receiver work with v.24? Does it need daughter board on line driver.
The v24 modem has always been a daughter board attached to the wireline card. I don't think there is any native ability built into the wireline card.
d119

Post by d119 »

Keep in mind that on the ATAC Receiver, the wireline and power supply cards are the same thing.

The manual states the following:

"Wireline Circuitry - processed audio and digital data (ASTRO, V.24) to/from the customer telephone lines (via the Wireline Interface Board). In addition, the board contains a connector to accept one modem card. This card is required to interface with a 9.6kbps (ASTRO) input."

Now we all know on the Quantar, you can either use the V.24 daughtercard and get the serial data out of the station, or put ASTRO modems on the wireline card, and get modem (audio) out of it for transmission over 4-wire circuits. The above statement is somewhat ambiguous, as it doesn't really tell you anything about the two different options, if they are even available on the AstroTAC receiver.

Now looking through the manual under the installation section is the "V.24 Modem Connector", and it says this:

"RJ-48 connector J8 provides a V.24 modem interface for connection to an external V.24 modem. This connection is typically used in 6809 trunking applications to connect the ASTRO-TAC Receiver to the V.24 mdoem connection in a microwave system, or directly to a co-located ASTRO-TAC Comparator."

"NOTE: DIP Switch S100 must be set according to the V.24 connection. Refer to the photo on Page 2 of the Wireline/Power Supply Module section in this manual for details."

And that photo says:

"S100: Position 1: ON for LOCAL ASTRO TAC COMPARATOR, OFF FOR CONNECTION TO MICROWAVE SYSTEM. Position 2: OFF FOR LOCAL ASTRO TAC COMPARATOR, ON FOR CONNECTION TO MICROWAVE SYSTEM. Position 3: N/A Position 4: N/A"

So what I would surmise from all of this is is that J8 is the V.24 connector and no further hardware is required to use it. If you want to use the *internal* 9600 baud modems to backhaul the recevier V.24 data over 4-wire leased lines, you must install an ASTRO modem card on the wireline board.

That's just my interpretation. Hope some of this helps.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Confirm that V.24 functionality is built.

You can still use an leased circuit modem if you wish, the J300 header is the same as on a normal W/L card.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Interesting. Must be a few different kinds of Astro equipment out there. All the v24 I've seen went to a daughterboard clipped to the wireline card. Learn something new everyday.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Indeed ... for your view pleasure here is the WL card for the Astro TAC Receiver

Same J300 but with V.24 built in.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Bill_G wrote:Interesting. Must be a few different kinds of Astro equipment out there. All the v24 I've seen went to a daughterboard clipped to the wireline card. Learn something new everyday.
Hi!

I am not a Quantar / ATAC guru, but I am reading throught manual for a few days (not for a first time, LOL). Looks like you're talking about Astro 9.6 kbps optional board (X437AA option), but not V.24 modem! V.24 modem is built-in and always presented in Astro-TAC.

Look at this picture:

I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”