MTR2000 PA Fail 0 Watts output

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ve1gln

MTR2000 PA Fail 0 Watts output

Post by ve1gln »

Bought a UHF MTR2000, programmed it up, works great... Kinda... no power at the PA. Getting a PA Fail message. system diagnostics shows 1:1 SWR (Dummyload) and still 0 power. Would this need to be tweaked with the tuning? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

PS: This was new old stock. B/N in box and never even programmed. Was a spare sitting on a shelf.

Glen
VE9GLN
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: MTR2000 PA Fail 0 Watts output

Post by kcbooboo »

First thing that comes to mind: the 100w PA needs 14V and 28V to run. The 40w stations don't have 28V available. If you mix and match, it won't work. Perhaps someone swapped something to get another station working.

Also, check that the coax cables going into the TX and RX modules are installed correctly.

Bob M.
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Oh sorry, I just re-read and no-power should have been no TX Power, under metering it's all good voltage wise. When I TX, exciter comes up and voltages are all good, but TC only stays up for about 3-4 seconds and then it detects no PA output power (0 watts) and it shuts down the transmit. Everything is running on 14V

Thanks

Glen
VE9GLN
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

So I have narrowed it down to the PA, going to go through it with a RF Probe and see where the signal stops... Prob the main transistor. Anyone have a spare 30/40W UHF PA they would like to sell :)
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Still looking for a UHF 40W MTR2000 PA if anyone has one they would like to sell? Please?
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

If my memory serves me, those didn't like to go out of band.
By any chance are you trying to use it out of its bandsplit?
Will it TX normal power in the service and alignment modes in CPS?
Steve K.
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Unfortunately no, It's a full range repeater. I am right in the middle with 443/448
d119

Post by d119 »

Are you certain the ribbon cable on the back of the thing from the PA to the station control module is tight? If this thing is brand new out of the box, I would think an actual PA failure would be extremely unlikely...

Are you sure your dummy load is good? These things are EXTREMELY picky about SWR...

If in fact it IS a failed PA, and you want to find another one, you need to post the appropriate want ad in the FSWT forum...

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”