IDA 24-66 console programming cable

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firedog359
What radios do you own?: MA/COM KMC-300,ICOM F50V

IDA 24-66 console programming cable

Post by firedog359 »

Hello everyone, I know this site mainly deals with Moto stuff but the IDA 24-66 console I'm using is running a Maxtrac so hopefully you will not be too hard on me.I'm trying to fabricate a programming cable set up for the console and I'm running into some issues.The original cable has an 8 pin modular connector for the console and a DB25 with a built in TTL to RS232 convertor on the other end.This cable is very expensive and I'm trying to make my own. What I have done so far is to purchase a B&B electronics TTL-RS232 convertor with male/female DB9's on each end,and an RJ45 to DB9 adapter kit.The kit comes so that the pins from the RJ45 side can be inserted into whichever pinouts you need on the DB9 side to match the inputs on the convertor.I chose the RJ45 adapter kit because the jack on the console is an 8 pin jack.I just naturally assumed it was an RJ45.Boy was I wrong.The jack is a standard phone type jack but it has 8 pins. I have no clue what type plug this would be.If I could find one,I could have a cable made up with that connector on one end and an RJ45 on the other.If anyone can help me identify this p[lug I would greatly appreciate it.
Jim202

Re: IDA 24-66 console programming cable

Post by Jim202 »

firedog359 wrote:Hello everyone, I know this site mainly deals with Moto stuff but the IDA 24-66 console I'm using is running a Maxtrac so hopefully you will not be too hard on me.I'm trying to fabricate a programming cable set up for the console and I'm running into some issues.The original cable has an 8 pin modular connector for the console and a DB25 with a built in TTL to RS232 convertor on the other end.This cable is very expensive and I'm trying to make my own. What I have done so far is to purchase a B&B electronics TTL-RS232 convertor with male/female DB9's on each end,and an RJ45 to DB9 adapter kit.The kit comes so that the pins from the RJ45 side can be inserted into whichever pinouts you need on the DB9 side to match the inputs on the convertor.I chose the RJ45 adapter kit because the jack on the console is an 8 pin jack.I just naturally assumed it was an RJ45.Boy was I wrong.The jack is a standard phone type jack but it has 8 pins. I have no clue what type plug this would be.If I could find one,I could have a cable made up with that connector on one end and an RJ45 on the other.If anyone can help me identify this p[lug I would greatly appreciate it.

If the RJ45 won't fit the console, then the next connector is a 6 pin connector. Some phone jacks use 6 pins. If your not looking carefully, you will try to jam an RJ45 into it. But as you found out, it won't fit.

If you still insist it is an 8 pin, but the size of a regular phone connector, have no clue what it is.

Jim
firedog359
What radios do you own?: MA/COM KMC-300,ICOM F50V

Re: IDA 24-66 console programming cable

Post by firedog359 »

Thanks for the reply, I actually brought the console to work with me this evening and had the our phone tech here at the hospital look at it and he said he has never seen an 8 pin RJ12 connector.He believes that it may some type of proprietery plug made for IDA

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”