M1225-M1225 Duplex Repeater

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Shanesemail
New User

M1225-M1225 Duplex Repeater

Post by Shanesemail »

I have two M1225 radios that i am trying to use as a duplex repeater. I have a Duplex Repeater Interface cable from ebay that I installed with the blue ic chip facing up. I am able to trigger the tx radio and it will transmit a signal to a handheld but there is no audio. I can connect a mic to the tx radio and transmit an audible signal. I am somewhat confident that I have all the correct rss software settings but that could be where the problem lie. I can't imagine that I am the only one thats encountered this problem but with days of searching the forums I am unable to locate any threads. If anyone has any info on this issue I would greatly appreciate it
Shanesemail
New User

Re: M1225-M1225 Duplex Repeater

Post by Shanesemail »

Here is bit more information on the settings I have used. I have tried swapping the radios from being a TX to a RX and vice versa with no change.

RX Radio M1225

MODE
RX
Frequency: 462.55000
Channel Spacing: 20/25/30
Squelch Type: CSQ
Signalling: None, #0

TX
Frequency: 462.55000

Radio Wide
Option Buttons A/B/C: NULL/Opt Board Button
Unmated / Muted Type: And/STD

Advance Option
Power Up Mode: Standard
Option Board Setting: MOOIS 1.0
Option Board Type: None

External Accessories
Acc External: General I/O
Power-Up Delay; 2.5
RX Audio Output: Unmuted/De-emphasise

Acc Custom: Yes
External Mic: No External Mic
Tx Flat Audio Input: Post
PIN 08: PL/DPL- CSQ Detect /Output / Off / Low

TX Radio M1225

MODE
RX
Frequency: 467.55000

TX
Frequency: 467.55000

Radio Wide
Option Buttons A/B/C: NULL/Opt Board Button
Unmated / Muted Type: And/STD

Advance Option
Power Up Mode: Standard
Option Board Setting: MOOIS 1.0
Option Board Type: None

External Accessories
Acc External: General I/O
Power-Up Delay; 2.5
RX Audio Output: Unmuted / De-emphasise
Acc Custom: Yes
External Mic: No External Mic
Tx Flat Audio Input: Post
PIN 08: PL/DPL- CSQ Detect /Output / Off / Low
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Walk us through. It's probably something simple like you didn't enable the external mic input.
When you key your portable, do you get a receive indication on the correct radio?
Can it be heard in the spkr?
Does that cause the other radio to key up?
Can you hear that key up in another portable on the correct channel?
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

When I key up the portable you can see that the recieve and transmit radios are acting appropriately with the RX and TX indicators showing up in the corners. This then will send a signal to the second portable and will continue to untill I release the key on #1 portable. I can hear the audio through the recieve radio but nothing except dead air on the second portable that indicates it's recieving.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

Well Bill like you said it was probably something simple as the External PTT. I put pin 12 to External PTT and now I have audio. Thank You very much Bill.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

I got a little excited and pulled the trigger to soon on calling it a success. When I went to add the PL tones I realized I was on the wrong channel on the portables. So I have tried different things like the External PTT on pin 9 and 12. Changed the setting to have external mic and also changed the advanced setting to have a serial interface board. I have tried systematically changing one setting at a time to no avail.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

You have RX audio output on both radios listed as 'Unmuted / De-emphasized', I believe the choices for that are 'Muted / De-emphasized' and 'Unmuted / Flat'. Can you verify which setting you have?

Also you have the TX radio set for 'No external mic', try changing it to 'External mic audio', I believe that's where the audio from the RX radio comes in.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

Yes sorry about the typeo. Both radios are set to Unmuted/Flat. I did change both radios to External Mic Audio and still get the transmit signal but no audio.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

So after many many hours of playing with the settings, the only other thing I can think it could be is the cable. I am able to tell that there is continuity from one end to the other. Is there a way to test with a multi meter that audio is being pass through the receive radio to the transmit radio? I have realized that I am out of my league by attempting something more then my knowledge base can handle but hate to give up at this stage of the game with so many hours invested.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Can you tell us which cable you have? A picture?
Did it come with any instructions?
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

It’s a cable from eBay. It did not come with any instructions. Unfortunately I am unable to post attachments.

Duplex Repeater Interface for Motorola Radio GM300, GM3188, SM50, SM120, M200
Features:
* Duplex connector: 16 pins plug
* Design to connect 2 mobile radios back to back to make a talk through repeater
* Work as duplex model, both radio will receive and transmit
* For 20 pin connector plug into middle 16 pins of the 20 pin jack
* PLS note that this is not the Motorola RICK type repeater interface.

Compatible to work for Motorola Radios as below models:
* Maxtrac, Radius etc.
* GM300, GM3188
* M10, M100, M120, M200, M1225
* SM50 SM120
* CDM750, CDM1250, CDM1550
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Shanesemail wrote:It’s a cable from eBay. It did not come with any instructions. Unfortunately I am unable to post attachments.

Duplex Repeater Interface for Motorola Radio GM300, GM3188, SM50, SM120, M200
Features:
* Duplex connector: 16 pins plug
* Design to connect 2 mobile radios back to back to make a talk through repeater
* Work as duplex model, both radio will receive and transmit
* For 20 pin connector plug into middle 16 pins of the 20 pin jack
* PLS note that this is not the Motorola RICK type repeater interface.

Compatible to work for Motorola Radios as below models:
* Maxtrac, Radius etc.
* GM300, GM3188
* M10, M100, M120, M200, M1225
* SM50 SM120
* CDM750, CDM1250, CDM1550
Who was the Ebay seller? That will tell us a lot.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I think I see which one you have, it appears to have level adjustment pots on it (blue thing with screwdriver adjustment), have you tried adjusting that? It might just be that the level is turned all the way down.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

SteveCO625
If you search "Duplex Repeater Interface for Motorola Radio GM300, GM3188, SM50, SM120, M200" and find the second one with purple background the eBay seller should be "newgun".

jackackett
I am just back to work untill tues and will give that a try and adjust the pot when i get home.
SteveC0625

Post by SteveC0625 »

Shanesemail wrote:SteveCO625
If you search "Duplex Repeater Interface for Motorola Radio GM300, GM3188, SM50, SM120, M200" and find the second one with purple background the eBay seller should be "newgun".
Have you tried to get some docs from the seller? Not that I expect much in that regard given that it's a vendor in China, but it's worth a try.

There's a lot of information about setting up legacy Motorola gear as repeaters over on repeater-builder.com. If you haven't done some reading there, I highly recommend that you do. FWIW, many of the legacy radios require roughly the same settings to function in repeaters. So reading over the info on radios besides the M1225's may be hugely beneficial.

If you don't find a solution and feel you've invested more than enough time in this cable, take a look at the RA-0, RA-1, or RA-2 repeater cables offered by Ebay seller mre1032. They come with full documentation including RSS/CPS settings, and he stands behind his work. Yes, they are more expensive, but you won't be tearing your hair out trying to get them to work.
Shanesemail
New User

Post by Shanesemail »

jackackett That was the problem. The pot was turned all the way down. I can't thank you enough. I appreciate everyone's help, thank you.
JameyS
New User

Post by JameyS »

I've been trying to build an M1225-M1225 repeater and can not get it to transmit. Can I get you to send me the updated and working code plug to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Note: I've seen one like it on eBay that had a jumper plug in the front of the RX radio. Don't know what it is, but I don't have one.
SteveC0625

Post by SteveC0625 »

JameyS wrote:I've been trying to build an M1225-M1225 repeater and can not get it to transmit. Can I get you to send me the updated and working code plug to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Note: I've seen one like it on eBay that had a jumper plug in the front of the RX radio. Don't know what it is, but I don't have one.
The jumper plug shorts the hook line to ground (just like hanging up the mic) enabling PL.

What adapter cable or controller are you using?
JameyS
New User

Post by JameyS »

Pretty sure it's the exact same cable as described here already.

Would not having the jumper plug or a mic prevent it from it from repeating? It receives fine.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

You could try looking in the programming for a setting to disable the mic hook. In CDMs it's something like 'HUB defeats PL' and you uncheck it to make that radio ignore mic hook. I think there's something similar in the M1225 but I don't have access to the software right now to check.
JameyS
New User

Post by JameyS »

I've gone thru and set up just like Shane's original post and was able to trigger the transmit radio. It has no audio...just a humming sound. I know he said he went through making lots of abjustments, wish he would have listed the finished layout. ;(

I tried the adjustment screw on the cable...no help.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

JameyS wrote:I've gone thru and set up just like Shane's original post and was able to trigger the transmit radio. It has no audio...just a humming sound. I know he said he went through making lots of abjustments, wish he would have listed the finished layout. ;(

I tried the adjustment screw on the cable...no help.

Have you gone back to the basics and tried a mic on the front panel of the radio? Key the radio with the local mic and see if you have TX audio that way.

You need to determine that the basic transmitter is functional with the local mic. This way you have a starting point to work from.

If the local mic works fine, then you know it's something with the external TX audio. I would try inputting an external audio tone to the accessory connector from a signal generator and then keying the external PTT line on the accessory connector. Make sure you couple the external audio input through about a 1 mf. cap to block the DC bias from the TX radio mic input from causing a problem. If you get TX audio, then you know that portion works and can then focus on the interface cable and audio from it.

The whole point of this exercise is to see if the basic radio works. Then go the next step with inputting an external audio source you know works. After that, then look at what your new interface cable and RX audio source is doing. It would help to have an O scope to follow the audio from the RX source into the TX accessory connector interface.

Let the group know how you made out.

Jim

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”