MSF5000 UHF out of band, anyone tried?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vercomm

MSF5000 UHF out of band, anyone tried?

Post by Vercomm »

Hey GUys,

I've got a MSF5000 403-435MHz repeater station, wondering if anyone has had success in using this type of station in the 445-450MHz range. I'm trying to help out a local HAM club and wondered if the VCO's will go that far, if not is there a mod, or does a person find new VCO's and such to get the station to work? Trying to keep costs low as this is a donation to the club.

Thanks!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: MSF5000 UHF out of band, anyone tried?

Post by kcbooboo »

The VCOs might be able to have their tuning strips re-cut to operate higher in the band. But then you've also got the IPA, the PA, the mixer injection amplifier, and the entire front end to deal with. You might squeak out a few MHz but anything higher is probably not going to make it.

Bob M.
d119

Re: MSF5000 UHF out of band, anyone tried?

Post by d119 »

I seem to recall having been able to get an R1 MSF 5000 to tune up reasonably well at 447.500MHz TX, 442.500MHz RX. Give it a shot and see if it works. Worst case, it won't. My situation may have been the exception rather than the rule.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”