Cell PTT to Quantar

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioPilot
New User

Cell PTT to Quantar

Post by RadioPilot »

I have a Quantar P25 repeaters on the ham bands and would like to get some input on how I can interface Cell PTT on my iPhone with the repeater.

I've seen interoperability panels such as the ACU-1000 by Raytheon. I've also seen a few other devices and services on the market where Cell PTT can be integrated with LMR.

My internet search on this has not turned up much info. I want to do this mainly for fun so I can use my cell phone through a cell PTT service app that I already subscribe to from my cell carrier. There are times I just don't want to carry my radio.

The interoperability panels/boxes I've seen basically take a donor radio like an APX and with a cable it, the donor radio connects to the interoperability panel/box which then connects to a donor cell phone that has the cell PTT function on it.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated

On a side note, I am not interested in Voiper, Echo link, or IRLP type stuff. I'm looking for a commercial grade solution that I can use on my repeaters. I am aware that this is costly, but I am a serious hobbyist and money is absolutely not an issue for me.
Jim202

Re: Cell PTT to Quantar

Post by Jim202 »

RadioPilot wrote:I have a Quantar P25 repeaters on the ham bands and would like to get some input on how I can interface Cell PTT on my iPhone with the repeater.

I've seen interoperability panels such as the ACU-1000 by Raytheon. I've also seen a few other devices and services on the market where Cell PTT can be integrated with LMR.

My internet search on this has not turned up much info. I want to do this mainly for fun so I can use my cell phone through a cell PTT service app that I already subscribe to from my cell carrier. There are times I just don't want to carry my radio.

The interoperability panels/boxes I've seen basically take a donor radio like an APX and with a cable it, the donor radio connects to the interoperability panel/box which then connects to a donor cell phone that has the cell PTT function on it.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated

On a side note, I am not interested in Voiper, Echo link, or IRLP type stuff. I'm looking for a commercial grade solution that I can use on my repeaters. I am aware that this is costly, but I am a serious hobbyist and money is absolutely not an issue for me.

Back in the days when the cell phones had a true data connector it was easy. Today, the interface is not really there. You could build some sort of VOX circuit to provide the PTT keying to the Quantar. But you will probably have an audio delay problem where you loose the first one or two syllables. In the gateways, they have a delay built in to prevent this. What they do is store the audio, put a delay on it, key up the transmitter and then send the audio that was captured and delayed so you don't loose the start of the audio. There is a big difference between "Don't Shoot and Shoot".

Jim
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

Had the pleasure of talking last week to Michael Marzouk of Raven Electronics. They are OEM suppliers to many manufactuers including Motorola. They produce a black box that can be custom configured for just about anything you can think of by their engineers, including inter-op to the PTT app ESChat for your phone. The surprising thing is the cost. I believe they could set something up that would be way cheaper than an ACU1000.

I'm looking to them right now for a voting solution as an alternative to a SNV-12.

Their website is a little light, but a phone call would answer your questions.
Lots and lots of watts...
NE2WAY
What radios do you own?: MT2000,Spectra,HT&CDM1250

Post by NE2WAY »

I find Zello works well and doesn't break the bank. easy setup using the Critical RF box they recommend

https://zellowork.com/lmr
NE2WAY
What radios do you own?: MT2000,Spectra,HT&CDM1250

Post by NE2WAY »

I'm looking to them right now for a voting solution as an alternative to a SNV-12.

Unless you have really good quality back haul system their voter sucks. Will not work with the copper lines that we still use in my area. have to have like T1 service to make it work well

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”