Big cans

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mogman

Big cans

Post by mogman »

I purchased a lot of VHF equipment and among the debris was three large VHF cans, obviously frequency pass but the curious thing is the loss, they have a pretty sharp curve but show to have 4.33db of insertion loss. these cans measure 11" IN DIA. and 24" tall (cans only)
I was going to add a picture because I would like to look up the specs but I cannot see how to add a picture, will look elsewhere
RFguy

Re: Big cans

Post by RFguy »

Hmmm, I thought this post was going to be about something else. Sad

:)
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

no, talking about my sister-in-law's butt is not appropriate here, RFguy.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

mogman wrote:I purchased a lot of VHF equipment and among the debris was three large VHF cans, obviously frequency pass but the curious thing is the loss, they have a pretty sharp curve but show to have 4.33db of insertion loss. these cans measure 11" IN DIA. and 24" tall (cans only)
I was going to add a picture because I would like to look up the specs but I cannot see how to add a picture, will look elsewhere

That sounds like a higher than normal insertion loss. But unless your testing them at the frequency they are currently tuned on, the insertion loss can be high. Then again, someone might have messed with the tuning of the cans. The frequency is also dependent on the length of the cables between the cans. If it was re-tuned very far, from where the original cables were for, that will also effect the insertion loss. Lastly, if you look at the top of the cans, many of them have adjustable insertion. There might be a metal plate with with numbers stamped in it. This is the coupling loss.

Many people really don't know how to tune these devices correctly. One of the most important points to be concerned with is to make sure all the cable ports are terminated while tuning the cavities. By this I mean the RX port, the TX port and the antenna port.

I tend to use a 6 or 10 db attenuator on all the non terminated ports while tuning. Even leave them on while tuning so the adjustments don't get screwed up while you tune the cavities. I have seen radio techs chase their but and spend hours trying to tune the duplexer. I walk in, show them how to do it, and can be done in maybe 15 minutes.

I would get the model number off of it and try to see just what you have. They are not that hard to tune.

Jim
mogman

Post by mogman »

I am sweeping it with a tracking generator, tuned from 140-170MHz (actually tuning the can) the loss is the same, no other adjustments, input/output are on the sides of the can and fixed 180deg apart, no numbers or I would google it, color is that little bit darker than beige that some of the older Motorola equipment had, dual hand wheels on top to push up or down, about 3 1/2" in dia. tower that positions the rod is about 4" in dia. 6" tall with one side open to access the lower locking wheel, three large gussets supporting the tower.
mogman

Post by mogman »

I have only tested one of these cans, it will take several days to get to the front of the trailer where the other two are located, so there could be a defect in this can.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Darker brown color.....sounds like Sinclair cans..
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

mogman wrote:I am sweeping it with a tracking generator, tuned from 140-170MHz (actually tuning the can) the loss is the same, no other adjustments, input/output are on the sides of the can and fixed 180deg apart, no numbers or I would google it, color is that little bit darker than beige that some of the older Motorola equipment had, dual hand wheels on top to push up or down, about 3 1/2" in dia. tower that positions the rod is about 4" in dia. 6" tall with one side open to access the lower locking wheel, three large gussets supporting the tower.

While sweeping the can, were you able to figure out if it is a pass cavity or a notch cavity? They do not work the same. If it is a notch cavity, you might miss the notch if your sweep was not narrow enough. Notch cavities can be used on both the TX and RX sides, so it would be hard to tell from how they are being used or cabled, if still installed in the system.

Jim
mogman

Post by mogman »

First I have never seen a notch cavity with two ports, not saying they don't exist but I have seen allot of cans and never a two port notch, second I swept it from DC to daylight, it is for SURE a pass can
DarkHelmet
New User

Post by DarkHelmet »

Sound like pass cavities from a combiner. The coupling loops will determine the insertion loss/s21 and VSWR/s11. Rotate them to get the s21 down and couple more into the cavity. This will make the response of the cavity much wider though.

You can convert these to Bp/Br with adding a capacitor in series with the loop.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”