Quantar local station microphone and speaker for P25

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Quantar local station microphone and speaker for P25

Post by n6fnp »

I am new to Quantar repeaters and recently got a UHF unit. I would like to have it set up with a local microphone and speaker so I can talk and listen to P25 users who are on the repeater without having to use a radio.

Ideally I would like to connect something like an MC3000 digital remote base unit. Will a MC3000 work on a Quantar in both analog and P25 operation?

-N6FNP
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Re: Quantar local station microphone and speaker for P25

Post by W3AXL »

An MC3000 won't work with a quantar, period. The MC3000 simply emulates a radio control head, sending commands via SB9600 which the quantar doesn't understand.

IIRC, the front microphone jack and speaker only work with analog operation as the quantar has no onboard vocoder to encode/decode P25.

The proper way to control a quantar for local use is with a DIU3000, but that requires the machine to be configured as a base station as opposed to a repeater. I'm not at all familiar with the setup of that type of system so I'll let others here chime in.

For what you want, you'd be better off just getting a local radio programmed for the repeater. A cheap XTS3000 or Astro Spectra should be fine for the job. With the spectra, you'd then be able to control it using the MC3000 that you originally intended on using.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

+1 on the local radio.

A P25 Quantar is P25 all the way. There is nothing analog about it once you decide it's going to be P25. A DIU is required to do the conversion to human.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

W3AXL wrote:The proper way to control a quantar for local use is with a DIU3000, but that requires the machine to be configured as a base station as opposed to a repeater. I'm not at all familiar with the setup of that type of system so I'll let others here chime in.
You can run a Quantar as a full-duplex repeater with a DIU hung off of it. Dispatch centers and .gov do it all the time. If you can colocate the DIU with the Quantar and send analog audio wherever you need to it's even easier to set up.
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n6fnp »

Thanks to everyone who has responded. It looks like I will need to get a DIU3000 and go from there!
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Hi all!

Who can tell anything about P25 sound quality comes off DIU? I found out that it's not good - weak, or, if you speak loudly/closely to the mic, it's immidiately becomes a bit clipped/distorted. Can't find DIU any gain setting position that will satisfy both volume and quality. Could problem be in handset used? I use modified Walker / Plantronics handset with PTT. Just rewired it to meet DIU3000 pinout.

Or any recommendations about new microphone capsule? Any data about Motorola ones would be great.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”