LTR no handshake

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jovitt
New User

LTR no handshake

Post by jovitt »

Hello, I am currently working on a single channel LTR system purely for educational purposes as I would like to know more about these systems. I have a Trident Raider and a Kenwood TKR-850. The Raider was formerly used with (coincidentally) a TKR-850 and came with the interface cable. I have connected the Raider to my PC and initialized it to accept all ID's. I have also went through the quick start tuning process and my HT1250 LS+ that I am using for my test radio, will not handshake with the Raider. The Raider's receive, carrier, and transmit lights all illuminate when I key up the HT1250 but it never handshakes. I am unsure if this is an issue with the Raider, repeater, or HT1250 programming. I am familiar with conventional systems but not so much LTR. I'm just a college student who is looking to learn about different systems and how they work. Any help here is appreciated!
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Re: LTR no handshake

Post by KB2ZTX »

Its been some time but I think there was a home channel that needs defined in the subscriber. I think this is also set in the raider.
KB2ZTX
jovitt
New User

Post by jovitt »

KB2ZTX wrote:Its been some time but I think there was a home channel that needs defined in the subscriber. I think this is also set in the raider.
In the HT1250, the trunking personality I am using to test has the home channel set to 1. The Raider's dip switch is also set for channel 1. Not sure if there is anything else I'm missing here in the CPS for the HT1250.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

LTR data levels are fairly critical. Are you running wideband or narrowband? Narrowbabnd LTR levels ate 700 to 800 Hz deviation. The LTR data from the controller to the repeater needs to go into a flat audio input, typically DC coupled.
jovitt
New User

Post by jovitt »

This problem has been resolved! There was a combination of things going on here that I overlooked. The TKR-850 was in repeater mode and should have been in just duplex mode. I am assuming this prevented the controller from transmitting since as soon as the repeater got a signal, it just repeated it on the TX side and busied it out. System is working great now! Handshakes very quickly and reliably. This has been a great learning experience as I had been tinkering with it in my spare time for a week or so.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”