Astro secure problem

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dover IT

Astro secure problem

Post by Dover IT »

We have a 4 channel conventional UHF Astro system, each chanel has a Quantar repeater with a DIU connected. the system is connected to 2 antennas via a TX/RX combiner/Multicoupler.
we are currently having a problem when some of portables transmit on secure. When they transmit the signal is all garbbled, sometimes it clears up and sometims it does not.
the problem does not seem to affect the mobile units.

This problem seemed to surface after we changed our encryption code.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Does it matter if it the portable is transmitting secure or not when garbled?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

Is it always the same portables, and/or can you track it to any particular Quantar?

Jack

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i would also try to isolate the portables that are garbling... not only to a particular repeater, but for the purposes of "benching" those radios... and checking their alignment, etc.

i don't think you have an infrastructure problem tho...

i think it's your portables tuning.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Dover IT

Post by Dover IT »

the problem only happens when the portables are transmitting in secure mode. It also seems to be select units it happens on multiple channels...

We are working on tracking which units are having the problem...

Does the Auto tune software from genral dynamics work well..??
I am looking into purchasing it.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Just some corrections to the original post. I'm a user on the system. I have observed mobiles have the same problems, and on different channels.Portables seem to have the problem more. The Secure modules in the DIU were zeroed, and the key reloaded.The problem is still there. All the channels have the same key. As stated above, the problem was noticed after the original key was replaced.
Ranger522
What radios do you own?: APX8000, everything ASTRO

Post by Ranger522 »

Could the new key be the incorrect algorithm?

I have seen similar symptoms when one radio was programmed with DES-XL and one with DES-OFB.
My Radios:
Motorola- APX8500/8000/7500/7000/6500, ASTRO Spectra, XTS3000, XTL5000, XTS5000, HT1000, MCS2000, MCC7500, MaraTrac, GTR8000/Quantar/K-Core/IMW/CompassCom AVL
Kenwood- TK-8160, TH-F6
Datron- Gardian Mobile/Portable
Thales- Racal T25
Yaesu- FT8900
More.....
scoops

Post by scoops »

All the radios and DIU were programed with the same key from the same KVL.The problem is only heard sometimes, and from various units, portable and mobile.Re key is a last option as there's almost 300 radios.
Jatla

Astro Secure Problem

Post by Jatla »

I know that this may be a silly question, but is multikey involved? If there is an indexing issue here, some of those radios may simply be using the wrong key. Especially if there are different individuals involved in rekeying and or a training issue. Don't rule out human error and other simple but capricious issues...

Jatla.
Standing by...
scoops

Post by scoops »

No multi key involved. Its like it takes a second for the DIU to decode.I'm leaning towrds it being a signal problem. It happens more on portable than mobile. When a mobile does do it, its usually on the edge of town. We're installing remote receivers soon, so we'll see. Thanks for your input
Chris
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I'd check the input freq, and see if someone new it transmitting on it (also check the FCC site). This happened to us, and it screwed with us for awhile. This one PD was also .25 off from our channel.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
EXMO

Post by EXMO »

try adding you rremote rx sites first
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

What test gear do you have access to?

Post by Wowbagger »

What test gear do you have access to?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
scoops

Post by scoops »

We have a R2625 digital and an older 2600 non digital service monitors. We're having our tower company come in and check all the antennas and cables.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”