Astro Spectra Consolette, connecting RCH3000

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Astro Spectra Consolette, connecting RCH3000

Post by Josh »

I heard it's possible to connect the RCH3000 deskset directly to the Astro Spectra W9 consolette. If this is so, is it a DB25 to rj45 kind of deal off of the back?

I've got a digital junction box, and maybe assumed incorrectly that it was needed.

-Josh
4n6inv

Re: Astro Spectra Consolette, connecting RCH3000

Post by 4n6inv »

The only way I've ever done it is with the Digital Junction Box. I've seen several posts on the RCH3000's lately, and have a good bit of equipment and documentation for them, but it's stacked away behind my next most urgent pile of junk. I really like the DGT/RCH/MC setups, and had several of them working on 800 in Atlanta a couple of years ago. I've moved out here to BFE, and everything is VHF, so my next project is to convert the consolettes to VHF. I'll be glad to stay in touch as I clear away debris and share whatever I can find.

Any other RCH nuts out there that have some wisdom to impart to either of us?
Josh

Post by Josh »

I am not having any luck in connecting my RCH.

I made a 25pin cable to connect from the consolette to the Junction box, and had a roll-over cable to go from the junction box to the RCH, but when I get it all set up and plugged in the RCH continues with "FAIL 01/90".

I am pretty sure the radio itself is powering up, but going to program it via the rear connector gives me "protocol entry error", and I have no idea why. A regular control head (W7/9) powers up the radio fine and programs normally.

Even with a speaker connected to the 15 pin connector, when the consolette is plugged in, I get no power-on beep.

I'm rather confused. Yes, I am connecting the Junction box to accessory 2.

-Josh
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You can indeed connect the RCH3000 directly to the consolette. The caveat is there's a 50-foot limitation on the cable length. This is why most applications require a junction box, which extends the range up to 5000ft.

I don't recall if the manual gives a wiring diagram for the direct connection or not...I'll have a look tomorrow if I think too.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Josh

Post by Josh »

wavetar wrote:You can indeed connect the RCH3000 directly to the consolette. The caveat is there's a 50-foot limitation on the cable length. This is why most applications require a junction box, which extends the range up to 5000ft.

I don't recall if the manual gives a wiring diagram for the direct connection or not...I'll have a look tomorrow if I think too.

Todd
Sweet, I only need to go about 10' so, whatever.

-Josh
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ok, you would normally purchase the adaptor module, which is a DB25 to RJ45 adaptor, part# CDN1336 for the consolette. I'd highly recommend it, since it retails for about $20 from Motorola. Once you have this, you can use a straight through CAT5 cable to connect the RCH3000 to the consolette.

If you really want to go through the effort, here's the pin out from the manual:

Code: Select all

RCH3000 Pin#                         Consolette pin#             Function

1                                     6                       Data Bus Busy
        2                                     19                     Bus Data Minus
        3                                     14                     RX Audio High
        4                                     3                       Mic High
        5                                     11                     Audio GND
        6                                     15                     RX Audio GND 
        7                                     7                       Bus Data Plus
        8                                     12                     Ground
The pin numbers of the RCH3000 RJ45 are numbered 1-8 from left to right, as you look into the connector. Good luck, hopefully you hook it up right the first time & don't blow anything up!

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Ok....

So, I made that cable, plugged it in, still nothing.

The RCH3000 acts as if nothing new has been added and nothing is going on. All it ever shows is the firmware revision and "FAIL 01/90".

I have the remote plugged into accessory 2, but plugging it into 3 did nothing either.

I don't think my radio is powering on. I cannot program the radio connected to the W9 Consolette via the rear 15 pin connector without getting "protocol entry error" and I don't know WHY I'm getting that message. I can put a regular head on it and it will program just fine.

What are the jumper/DIP switch settings on audio board supposed to be? How about stuff plugged into all of the connectors on the board?

I'm confused and a bit upset, I thought this would be way easier than it had turned out.

Maybe my remote interconnect board isn't what it should be. *sigh*.

-Josh
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You should normally be able to program the consolette through the rear accessory connector without anything else attached to the radio...I just did one yesterday. I don't have an Astro Spectra consolette manual, so I can't help you with the jumper configuration & whatnot. Have you checked the settings of the RCH3000 & confirmed it is set for "Astro"? It can also be set for "MCS2000" and "iDEN", which would give you the fail 01/90 as well. The procedure is as below:

1) Make sure the RCH is disconnected from the consolette
2) Cycle the power.
3) Press the LOCAL button, then the # simultaneously while the opening screen (firmware, product name) is visible (approx 8 seconds).
4) The parameter screen will appear. The top line of the screen will display the parameter name. The second line will display the current setting.
5) The first screen should show "Radio Selected:" at the top, and on the bottom it should show "Astro", with "*changes" next to it. If it doesn't show Astro, hit the "*" key until it does, then exit out by pressing the "#" key.

Hopefully that's all it is, but I don't like the fact you can't program the consolette without a head attached. Perhaps one of the jumpers controls the ignition sense into the front of the radio?

Josh

Post by Josh »

I checked out the programming mode in the RCH, it was correctly set for astro, but was also set up as a "slave" deskset, I changed that to master, if that makes any difference.

I'll be messing around with it more a little later.
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

a consolette is basically a remote mount astro spectra correct? so if you tried connecting it to a remote mount astro spectra, with the above information should it work? also will it only work on a W9 radio or is it configurable for W3 thru W9?
think about how to ENCOURAGE Motorola learning safely with GRACE.....NOT condemnation.
cbus

Post by cbus »

How about a XTL5000 ? MC2500 direct to XTL ?? Would it work ?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

cbus wrote:How about a XTL5000 ? MC2500 direct to XTL ?? Would it work ?
No, mc2500 is a 4 base tone deskset. However a mc3000 which is the digital deskset will connect directly to a xtl mobile at least for data, I never hooked up the audio I just wanted to see if I could control it.

To the OP on the mc3000 there is a setting for data polarity or something like that I don't recall exactly what its called but it needs to be changed depending on whether you use a djb or directly connect to the radio. Maybe the rch has that also?

*edit* OOPS, this post is 3 years old...
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yeah, the post is three years old...

I've since given up and sold all the stuff off.

I feel the new posts from today should have been in a new thread.
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

i thought about making a new post, but there was so much information in this thread that i felt bringing it to the surface might help. im interested in getting one of the RCH3000 if it can plug into a astro spectra remote mount, say in place of the control head cable. ill make a new post and reference this one.
think about how to ENCOURAGE Motorola learning safely with GRACE.....NOT condemnation.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

FYI All, I tried to buy parts for this remote set from Moto and all are discontiued.....the cable CDN1336, junction box, etc.
mac1_131

Post by mac1_131 »

this DOES work however you have to use a mirror-image RJ45 cable to follow that pinout

you have to remember RCH3000's always used a "flipped" cable 1-8 goes to 8-1, not a cat5 nor a crossover cable

when you use a 100% flipped cable the pinouts referenced in this post work perfectly, even on an XTL5000 consolette

I suppose one could reverse up the wiring in the book and make it work with a cat5 cable, in which case it would look like:

RCH3000 Pin# Consolette pin# Function

8 6 Data Bus Busy
7 19 Bus Data Minus
6 14 RX Audio High
5 3 Mic High
4 11 Audio GND
3 15 RX Audio GND
2 7 Bus Data Plus
1 12 Ground

this is also tested and confirmed working (on an XTL5000 W9 consolette)
ki6yop

Post by ki6yop »

I am using a W7 XTL5000 consolette. I followed Mac1's wiring setup and the RCH3000's works as it should, however I do not get any RX audio from the RCH. The TX audio from the RCH works great. If i turn up the volume on the W7 control head, I can hear audio from the consolette's speaker. Any help on getting the RX audio on the RCH to work would be greatly appreciated.
ki6yop

Post by ki6yop »

Problem resolved

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”