MSF5000 Weird Warning Tone

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n5api

MSF5000 Weird Warning Tone

Post by n5api »

Hi everyone,

I'm getting an intermittent alarm signal from my UHF MSF5000 that has me stumped. Its giving me a four beep tone, which corresponds to an overvoltage alarm, according to another post on the boards. The kicker is, this MSF doesn't have a battery revert system! Additionally, transmit will occasionally drop out for up to five seconds, usually within a few seconds of hearing the alarm over the air.

Of course, I can't get the thing to do it when I'm at the site in front of the machine with the MSF advanced diagnostic panel, and everything else looks fine (RX/TX lock lights, PA Full on when keyed, etc.) Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
John, N5API
n5api

Re: MSF5000 Weird Warning Tone

Post by n5api »

Forgot to add that this is an older Analog (CLB) station, with the Tone remote and internal duplexer options, if either of these make a difference.

edit: The TX just dropped for 3 seconds without hearing the alert tone first, so maybe I have two different issues going on. :o

Thanks,
John
xmo

Post by xmo »

What is the part number of the station's power supply?

e.g. TPN1185A, TPN1186A
n5api

Post by n5api »

I want to say it's an 1186, but I'm not 100% sure. I was planning on going up to the site today with a whole bunch of test equipment and hanging out for a while to see if I can get the thing to act up. I will take a look then.
n5api

Post by n5api »

The power supply is a TPN1186A. The loss of transmit signal is occurring when the MSF reboots, seemingly at random. Voltage on the PA power connector is within what I believe to be acceptable range (15.54v on RX, 14.68v on TX); I haven't been able to measure it yet when the alarm is going off.

Any ideas?
n5api

Post by n5api »

Based on the advice of someone locally, I believe I have found the culprit. Connector J603 on the power supply distribution board somehow got a little crispy and is crystallizing. I cleaned the male end of the connector, and replaced the power supply, since I had brought a spare to the site. This should hold me until I can replace J603.

Can someone look on MOL, and see if part number 28-82984N10 (the J603 connector; male, 9 contact plug) is still available, and the estimated price?

Thanks,
John
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Currency: US
Your search for item numbers beginning with 2882984N10 returned 0 record(s).

Please refine your search criteria and try again.
n5api

Post by n5api »

Escomm, thanks for looking for me. Does MOL supply a current parts list for the TPN6138B Power Supply Distribution Board? I'm looking for the J603 connector part.

Thanks,
John
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Not unless it's down deep in a service manual somewhere. I would suggest contacting Parts ID, they should have a breakdown of the components. You should be able to reach them by calling 800.422.4210, selecting options 2 - 1 - 1
n5api

Post by n5api »

Yeah, that's where I got the first part number, the depths of a 25 year old service manual. I'll call Parts ID on Monday.

Thanks!
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
This is a garden variety el chepo connector, available at the parts store. Be sure to replace the male pins also, or the problem will re occur. I usually just solder the lead on the pin, replace the connector if it ever becomes necessary to replace the board.

Bad filter caps in the power supply can cause a similar problem, the A+ sags on key up, causing the control board to reset when the 5V regulator drops out of spec. I have seen several control boards replaced because of bad filter caps.

A power supply with the battery charger option can do the same thing if the battery is dis connected, or dry, the regulator board has such a slow response that the voltage can sag on key up, especially if the power is set high. The solution is to set the regulator for 14.9 or so WITHOUT BATTERY.
Aloha, Bernie
luisa.kmet
New User

Post by luisa.kmet »

If you have the Battery backup option sometimes the DC dropout relay get a light oxidization of the contacts and due to the high resistance the MSF 5000 will resets on a power glitch. Not that easy to reach, but you can clean the relay contacts sometimes by just opening a closing the relay manually a couple of times. I usually run a piece of clean paper through the closed contacts and you can see the oxydization rub off on the paper.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”