ROIP

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Timmuc

ROIP

Post by Timmuc »

I want to install a ROIP unit for a temporary project. I never worked with ROIP. Is there a solution to do that with a GM380. I do not have the time to build something, i´m looking for a (as cheap as possible) product of the shelf. I heard a few things about different Software. I´m looking for a software that I can install at a computer to speak and listen over the internet. I do not have any fix IPs.
Thanks
Tim
Bill_G

Re: ROIP

Post by Bill_G »

The GM380 / CDM series is well understood, and yes it can be controlled with roip devices. There is a hardware component you must provide to interface the internet with the radio just as you need adapters to connect to phone lines. The JPS Raytheon NXU-2A is perhaps the simplest, easiest, and cheapest to deploy. The Telex IP223 is more sophisticated, and comparable to the Avtec Outpost. Zetron has a product. And, there are others. It is a growing field. They are all weak on security and networking capabilities. You will need to provide a path through the public internet using Cisco, Juniper, DCB, or a number of other networking manufacturers to maintain connectivity. Each roip appliance manufacturer has a dispatch application for the PC. You use the Telex application with their IP223, Avtec with the Outpost, Zetron with Zetron, etc, etc.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have used the JPS Raytheon NXU-2A in a couple of installations and they have worked well. These are tied to legacy consoles using local (5-wire) control.

We have run the NXU-2A "back-to-back" via ethernet/internet connection. One at the far end on the radio. One at the local end connected to the console via PTT/TX Audio/RX Aud.

It works well, reliable, simple
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

If you really want "cheap" and do not mind a product that is unreliable and has poor support, you may want to look into Critical Rf and their Sitecast box. That box got me started in ROIP and networking (by forcing me to endlessly try different hardware/software configs), which is why I am a big fan of the solutions in the above posts. FatBoy.
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
Legacypreservation99
New User

Post by Legacypreservation99 »

Has anyone try these guys:

[removed link]

They are true RoIP solution.

[Please kindly do not spam the forum. Provide technical insight in to why you think this or that would work as part of your solution based on the posters question. E.g. You would take the radio described, connect it up to my box, which meets all the posters requirements (has a soft console basically) and can handle a routed network properly (e.g. Internet). If you continue to simply post links to a product you manufacturer with not technical help/substance I'm happy to just suspend your account. -Alex]
Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Post by Mraudio »

I have looked into these and they are very proud of their product. The Sheriff in El-Dorado County California is running them. I have yet to made it over there to see how they work and what pitfalls they had in deploying them. I hear JPS is now engineering a SNV12 module to do the same thing?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The SNV12 is a voter / comparator, and JPS used to recommend *NOT* trying to vote using roip linked radios. It would be a welcome change if they have worked the problem, and introduce NXU2A capabilities to their voter.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”