msf5000 + repeater ID

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ccip4911

msf5000 + repeater ID

Post by ccip4911 »

I recently got a MSF5000 UHF range 2. Is there anyway to get the repeater id not to strip the pl when it sends? Ive tried looking in the forums, but just found some stuff saying it cant be done.

Any help would be great.

Brian
d119

Re: msf5000 + repeater ID

Post by d119 »

This has been investigated elsewhere and it was determined that there is no way to enable PL while the identifier is running, short of using an external encoder board.

I assume this is an amateur radio thing? Tell the users to just get used to it, or not run decode :)
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Unless you have access to the source code for the SSCB and can modify that and reprogram the EPROM, there is no way to enable the PL/DPL during a CW ID. All you can do is adjust the various time delays (repeater hang-time, CW ID holdoff, etc) such that the PL/DPL is already present when the CW ID fires. There still won't be any PL/DPL when the CW ID fires after the last transmission when the repeater isn't already transmitting.

I'm sure this will come up again in a few weeks. I got this info directly from Motorola. It's not going to change.

Bob M.
seleong

Post by seleong »

Hello MSF experts!

I have a somewhat related MSF CW ID question: I have the callsign programmed into the codeplug, and I have the timers set as to when the station is to ID, but for some reason, this station does not transmit the CW ID - any time! Am I possibly missing an "enabler" somewhere else in the programming? Other than this wierd item, the repeater is working flawlessly in every other aspect.

Thanks very much for any help!

Steve
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The CW ID will not fire if any of the squelches are open. There are two EEPots on the digital stations; both must be closed. Connect a digital metering panel or a computer with RSS and view the MUXBus; adjust the squelch pots until both RPTR SQ and RCVR SQ indicators go out. I don't know about the analog stations.

Bob M.
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

Same on the analog stations, the squelch pots are accessible on the front of the uniboard, need to be adjusted for the ID to work.
Andy / NC4AB
seleong

Post by seleong »

Fantastic! I will check these squelch pots to see where they are. The MSF I have is a digital station, so I'll get the panel connected and check things out.

Many thanks, Bob and Andy!

Steve
Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Towers »

Well, I would disagree that there is "no way". I don't know what we did to make it "way", but here is the details.

Connected an analog UHF Repeater to an Analog UHF Base station (15 watt) as a link radio. We used the tone remote cards in each unit to supply good, variable audio to the other radios line in, and vice versus. In order to do this we had to mod the Tone Remote card by (the easiest way at the site), removing a transistor switch that was used to mute RX Audio, thus allowing the RX Audio to flow freely. Used a single resistor and transistor switch to act as PTT to each radio, set the audio, wired the two radios with a single 8 conductor Cat 5 cable, and walked away happy. Now, after this simple little connection, the repeater IDs with PL. We have many UHF repeaters on the air and make use of the stripped PL in Echolink link use, but this was the first time we ever saw an MSF ID with PL without an input signal at the same time. Have no idea what this simple thing did, but a repeater that had stripped PL for 7 years is now iding with PL. The time and activity needs are still there, in other words it doesn't just constantly ID so there is nothing telling the radio a signal is present or, as others have said, it would never ID. Go figure!

Tom
d119

Post by d119 »

Is it simple COR(PL) -> PTT and vice versa, or are you running tone remote control between the two?
Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Towers »

d119 wrote:Is it simple COR(PL) -> PTT and vice versa, or are you running tone remote control between the two?
No, we are just running simple cor from rx activity to the ptt transistor switch mo unted right to the ptt test point. The tone remote boards are plugged in but we are only taking rx audio from them as described. Only mod was removing the rx mute gate that a tone remote uses. All connections are on the main controller board.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”