GTR 8000 Feature Update & New Voting Comparator!

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

GTR 8000 Feature Update & New Voting Comparator!

Post by d119 »

I attended a webinar last week on the GTR series base stations. Lots of exciting stuff coming down the line! Here's some of the highlights:

* GTR 8000 station coming out that will support conventional analog operation with integrated 4-wire audio as well as v.24 data for support of analog & mixed-mode operation using normal interface methods (TRC & DIU interfaces). DC keying will NOT be an option. Tone, E&M or Digital only.

* MLC 8000 analog IP comparator coming out (1Q 2012) that will support analog operation including voting and simulcast transmit. Uses IP as the transport medium. Allows a customer to build a simulcast system using only these devices, a GPS reference, and of course a base radio. This product is going to be incredible! No more channel banks, T-1's, or other ancillary nonsense. Just connect the MLC 8000 remote units to a master MLC 8000 comparator, add a little GPS to each site (including the master), and you've got voting & simulcast. Bon Voyage, DIGITAC. At least that's the theory as I understand it, do not quote me on this one.

* GTR 8000 ESS (Expandable Site Subsystem) for conventional operation including integrated RFDS (RF Distribution Subsystem). One cabinet solution including multicouplers & combiners for up to 6 conventional channels in analog, digital, or mixed mode operation.

Looks like the GTR 8000 is really going to be able to take over the Quantar's position in the market after all.
FMROB

Re: GTR 8000 Feature Update & New Voting Comparator!

Post by FMROB »

I see this taking along time to be implemented past 1Q 12, just my 2cents.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

d119 wrote:* MLC 8000 analog IP comparator coming out (1Q 2012) that will support analog operation including voting and simulcast transmit. Uses IP as the transport medium. Allows a customer to build a simulcast system using only these devices, a GPS reference, and of course a base radio. This product is going to be incredible! No more channel banks, T-1's, or other ancillary nonsense. Just connect the MLC 8000 remote units to a master MLC 8000 comparator, add a little GPS to each site (including the master), and you've got voting & simulcast. Bon Voyage, DIGITAC. At least that's the theory as I understand it, do not quote me on this one.
Seems pretty cool - but I bet it would struggle if you put the internet between the sites. If you have your own dark fiber network or you stick to same provider type internet connections it will probably work pretty great.... Considering pretty much everything is going over IP it makes sense to finally do voting over IP.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
d119

Post by d119 »

I think the idea is to use private microwave or leased IP circuits to handle the transport. i.e. Motorola PTP series microwave, etc.

We have several customers who run their networks using private microwave that is IP based. They currently use manual transmitter steering and RAD IPMux devices to handle the transport. This will give them some major advantages... I hope it's somewhat reasonably priced.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If the comparator / sim controller / site controller has enough buffering, even the public internet should be okay. However, expect significant bulk delays on the order of 50ms to 500ms or more to accumulate all the packets. If the system employs dynamic timing to keep it as short as possible, all the better. People are kinda used to "echo" from latency in cellphones. They will probably accept this too. Looking forward to learning about the new gear.
Winger2002

Post by Winger2002 »

I believe the MLC does astro and mixed mode conventional as well.
xmo

Post by xmo »

For those interested in knowing more about Motorola's new comparators, the manual [6871019P09-A] for the GCM8000 comparator is now available on MOL.

GCM 8000 Comparator Functions

The GCM 8000 Comparator performs payload distribution by way of an IP network topology for either
trunked IP simulcast subsystems or centralized and distributed conventional architectures.
The comparator is capable of performing the following functions:
• Simulcast (trunked and conventional)
• Voting (trunked and conventional)
• Multicast (conventional)
• Data Steering (trunked and conventional)
• Console Interface (conventional)
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

hI
earlier you said that :: GTR 8000 station coming out that will support conventional analog operation with integrated 4-wire audio as well as v.24 data for support of analog & mixed-mode operation using normal interface methods (TRC & DIU interfaces). DC keying will NOT be an option. Tone, E&M or Digital only. Did they give you any idea when this would be?? and also would the above version of the GTR be like a drop in replacement for an agency already using quantars and astrotac comparitors and existing diu's
Winger2002

Post by Winger2002 »

Quantar is being canceled the end of this year, so in typical moto fashion gtr will most likely gain analog and mixed mode support sometime after that. It should work with astrotac's and diu's as long as ur using 4 wire or v.24. Astro modems are not supported.
BatEng
New User

Post by BatEng »

[quote="xmo"]For those interested in knowing more about Motorola's new comparators, the manual [6871019P09-A] for the GCM8000 comparator is now available on MOL.

I cannot find the manual on MOL, any suggestions?
xmo

Post by xmo »

MOL
-> Resource Center
--> Product Information
---> Manuals
----> Network Infrastructure
-----> ASTRO (Apco25) System 7.11
------> 6871019P09-A

Also, for a great look at where Motorola is going with the evolution of conventional systems including the GTR8000 and other products, download the Conventional Webinar.mp4 file from the Motorola User Groups web site.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Hi guys!

Please correct me if I wrong. There is no Astro 9600 modem linking support in GTR8000. But there is a port for ASYNC COMMs that is still in NOT USED / FUTURE USAGE state. And finally I am limited to Ethernet, V.24 and WireLine only. If I am right, I have the only question: what can I do with _rear_ Ethernet ports connectivity If I have only Base Radio/Repeater, but not the rest G-series things (like GCP, GPW, GCM, etc.). I know how to deal with frontal Ethernet port of course.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

BTW, ASYNC port can be used, but in IntelliRepeater 3600 configuration only. But not in others.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Afternoon MotoFan,

The rear ethernet port is a pass through of the front. You can program, link and monitor

If you only have another GTR station, you can RT/RT the stations together over IP via the rear ports.

Works great as a crossband repeater configuration with just a switch which can then offer you a management port as well

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Hi chartofmaryland!

Thanks! Are you sure about rear port(s) that they can work for CSS? Because they are all described as Site connectors (to Site / to Switch). If they can be used for CSS, it's good, because rear port(s) can be set for desired IP address (but frontal port cannot).

I already did RT/RT with AstroTAC, and it works! So I got RX extender. LOL.

Also, guys, do you know the name of software that shows current statuses of your Motorola net/hardware (GTR and/or Quantar). Something like dashboard, admin panel, etc. In GTR papers I read about UNC (Unified Network Configurator what is actually 2 tools: EMC Smarts Network Configuration Manager and VoyenceControl). But looks like they are only for loading images and configuration to the devices.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I've been told the front port is special as there is a DHCP server running to support connection of laptops w/o the need for a fixed address.

Also your comments re RT-RT mode, I expect you mentioned to say "without an AstroTAC"?
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Astro Spectra wrote:Also your comments re RT-RT mode, I expect you mentioned to say "without an AstroTAC"?
With AstroTAC. Why not? It's usual Quantar but with no Exciter and PA. So, it can be connected to GTR in RT-RT mode and provides second RX channel or another (far) location to GTR.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

MotoFAN wrote:Also, guys, do you know the name of software that shows current statuses of your Motorola net/hardware (GTR and/or Quantar). Something like dashboard, admin panel, etc. In GTR papers I read about UNC (Unified Network Configurator what is actually 2 tools: EMC Smarts Network Configuration Manager and VoyenceControl). But looks like they are only for loading images and configuration to the devices.
UNC is an Astro25 7.x system-level configuration GUI. It basically takes the individual item config changes you would make in EMC and translates them into a web GUI. It runs parallel to Provisioning Manager, which manages lower-tier hardware like consoles, CCGWs, and the like.

You want UEM, which is a SNMP monitoring tool. Current Astro25 7.x hardware can output SNMP traps natively, older stuff like Quantars cannot.
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

motorola_otaku wrote:You want UEM, which is a SNMP monitoring tool.
Hi! Thanks. I already noticed that 8000 series reporting is SNMP-based like most of network devices. But what us UEM? Who is manufaturer of it? How to decypher it to full name? And where to get? And the last question - is it shareware?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

MotoFAN wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote:You want UEM, which is a SNMP monitoring tool.
Hi! Thanks. I already noticed that 8000 series reporting is SNMP-based like most of network devices. But what us UEM? Who is manufaturer of it? How to decypher it to full name? And where to get? And the last question - is it shareware?
1) Unified Event Manager
2) Motorola. Coded in-house.
3) See #1.
4) Very much no. Sold on a per-session license basis, runs into the tens of thousands of $$$
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Okay, thanks. Love Motorola. UEM Demo costs $46. I repeat: demo version costs something. LOOOL.
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Hi all!

What is the right way to equalize audio gain in Analog mode when GTR connected over E&M (Wireline)? Now looks like repeated signal is 30-40% louder than signal was received via satellive receiver (E&M link). Looks like there is no setting in GTR that have control over it. I know that I can use input/output gain in my Cisco, but I want to check for other ways first. Who knows, I might miss something. Thanks!

P.S.
Of course, all infrastructure and subsriber units set to 12.5/2.5 kHz.
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Looks I found what also can help. TX/RX Wireline Alignment. It's all about gain in analog mode.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”