Quantar Power Supply Repair

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Quantar Power Supply Repair

Post by 2wayfreq »

I was curious if there is another choice for sending power supplies in for repair besides the IDO Repair Depot in Elgin? Thanks
Radio Tech Troubleshooting Golden Rule #1: Check your connections
d119

Re: Quantar Power Supply Repair

Post by d119 »

Not that I've ever heard of. We've always had to send them in to the depot for repair.
W6WAW

Re: Quantar Power Supply Repair

Post by W6WAW »

A second source for repair might be useful.

A couple years ago, I sent in one of the newer high power supplies to Elgin for repair. When it returned, I put it into an operational Quantar for testing. The first time I keyed the transmitter, the supply failed.

When I looked inside, it was apparent that the brute force repair method had been utilized -- replacing all of the devices attached to the heat sink on the top board. This is a common method of repairing switching supplies and is not necessarily bad, per se.

However, the heat sink had not been properly remounted to the PC board -- probably because that would have required temporarily removing a couple capacitors adding a few minutes to the repair.

I returned the supply with a note complaining about the quality of the repair and suggesting that when it was fixed again that it be tested under load before it was returned. That resulted in complete replacement of the top board in the supply. Now, it is still running strong but I was disappointed by the experience.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”