Watchdog pagers

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cduda
What radios do you own?: GP300, HT1250, CDM1250

Watchdog pagers

Post by cduda »

Anyone using the watchdog pagers by us alert? Thoughts...pros...cons

How easy are they to program?
wkr518

Re: Watchdog pagers

Post by wkr518 »

I have had one for 1.5 years in VHF, the 5 channel model with stored voice. Been working well but I am taking very good care of it. I have 2 channels that have alert tones, 1 TAC to monitor local Mutual Aid, 1 channel for NOA weather to monitor.Very easy to program.3 of the channel or 12.5khz also.Plus my stored voice messages don't disappear if my battery dies or I turn off the pager by mistake. Not bad for $350.
nothing
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

We've been trying a few dozen over the past year and very few problems. A few chargers broke, which they replaced. And one pager lost squelch. Otherwise they seem to work pretty decent. The main complaint I've heard about them is they are too big.
cduda
What radios do you own?: GP300, HT1250, CDM1250

Post by cduda »

Great. Thanks
surgepgh

Post by surgepgh »

Anyone have a codeplug for one of these??
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Post by kb9suy »

I have been running one since April and love it! I'm pretty tough on my stuff and I haven't broken it yet. I would take this over the minitor V any day.
jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

Post by jmr3865 »

I have a word document written up on my experience on these. Unfortunatly, I do not have access to it right now. I tried one of these for about 2 weeks. I tried a 5 channel version. The problem is that you can only use 2 channels at once, you need to select your 2nd channel. I found it not to be loud enough. I did like the screen though. During my 2 weeks of having the pager, We did manage to break one of the knobs on top. The other problem we had was it didnt tell you it was going to die, it just did. Maybe I dont like change, but I like the minitor and for an additional $20 or so, it's worth it.
JMR
KC2QVO
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Switched from 5 channel Watchdog to the smaller 2 channel Watchdog LT.I like it,had it for 2 weeks now and the reception is really good.Switched to 12.5khz a few days ago and the audio is a bit lower,but similar as on my M5.
nothing
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

jmr3865 wrote:I have a word document written up on my experience on these. Unfortunatly, I do not have access to it right now. I tried one of these for about 2 weeks. I tried a 5 channel version. The problem is that you can only use 2 channels at once, you need to select your 2nd channel.
The latest firmware version of the M5 scans all 5 channels.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

After having these Watchdogs for a few years now, they seem to be running neck and neck with the M5 on trips to the service depot. Although some one above mentioned the volume wasn't very loud, on ours they are much louder then the M5. Also, US Alert's turn-around time has slowed a bit in the past year. Now averaging about a month.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”