Minitor V depot repair?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nrembis
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2k, MCS2k, XTS3k

Minitor V depot repair?

Post by nrembis »

I sent a minitor V to depot for warranty work for intermittent audio problems as well as a couple other issues. First they said unit will be covered under warranty, then they emailed and said unit will not be covered under warranty because its liquid damage and flat rated the repair for 95.00.....the following is on the repair ticket

Problem
Resolution

BOARD/UNIT REPLACED

SWAP UNIT

does that mean they swapped a board and it didnt work so they replaced the pager with a new unit or just swapped the board out?
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: Minitor V depot repair?

Post by ai4ui »

Every pager I have sent down there has come back as a different pager. We engrave a number on the back and they always come back in a new housing. I'd like to open one up and mark the board with a pen but I am afraid it would void the warranty. I doubt they actually fix them.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

My feeling is they usually just replace the unit under flat rate.
nrembis

Post by nrembis »

At first they said it would be repaired under warranty, then they ended up telling me it was liquid damage and is not covered under warranty or flat rate repair.

I pitched a big fit and told them there are other pager manufacturers with better IP ratings and a warranty period just as long as theirs is and the next order of 40 pagers for the FD wont be for motorola pagers, lol

In the end, they flat rated it and just sent me a new pager :)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Suspect they don't bother with repairs because of Factory Mutual/IS Certification.
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

escomm wrote:Suspect they don't bother with repairs because of Factory Mutual/IS Certification.
I kinda figured that,as I hardly see any parts usage notes with exception to swapped unit.
nothing
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Sent 7 pagers last month that had extended warranty for speaker issues/low audio etc.5 of the 7 came back as UNREPAIRED/PHYS DAMAGE.
These pagers were less than 2 years old and not a scratch on them! Anyone else running into this? I am opening a case today with M and if I dont get resolution I am going to reach out to Product Group managers.It seems only since 2009 or so I am seeing more and more speaker issues.Was there a re-design or FSB about speakers?
nothing
nrembis

Post by nrembis »

Yeah,we are starting to see that as well, making me wonder that the extended warranty option is not worth buying since everything you send in they blame on something not covered under warranty, no FSB on speakers that I know of....Ive been hearing good things about USAlert pagers, so I may get one of those to try.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I sent three in last month, one stated water damage (they sent a pic, I didn' see anything obvious). All were showing swapped. One came back as a one channel, but fixing that as we speak
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nrembis

Post by nrembis »

Pj wrote:I sent three in last month, one stated water damage (they sent a pic, I didn' see anything obvious). All were showing swapped. One came back as a one channel, but fixing that as we speak
Yeah, they sent me a photo as well and like you couldnt see anything obvious...
pcleavitt

Post by pcleavitt »

They typically fix NOTHING - they exchange it. I've also never experienced a refusal to honor the warranty if within warranty - for any reason. Also, working thru a dealer can often save movey on the depot charge - a dealer pays less. I know I do.
pcleavitt@leavittcom.com
Philip C Leavitt
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Every M5 pager tickets comes back with notes of "unit swapped".Hemming and Hawing got the warranty unit replaced somehow.Today I have 23 units,all for speaker/volume issues to go to factory.Some customers are beginning to look at Swissphones and USAlerts.I know of one agency who just ordered 23 USalert pagers and refuses to spend any more to fix M5 issues with speakers.
nothing
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Its not defective speakers. At least on the ones I've been sending back. The power-up tone and SV voice announcing is always nice and loud and clear. Just the receive signal is low and distorted. My agency just ordered a few hundred Watchdogs by US Alert after testing about 25 over the past year. The receive is just as good if not better then the 5's. The only complaint I get is their size is a little bulky.
Pj

Post by Pj »

I just was sent one back from the depot for the usual "physical damage" aka liquid damage...but they never bothered to state that claiming the estimate box wasn't checked (bs). Called customer service and no notes where onthe system. Out of the blue after opening a case (which the first person refused to do) the second call I got a FedEx label and email with photo of the supposed damage at the time. And yet more I have another min5 going in on complaints of poor reception. These are dying out if the blue and are 2008/2009 vintage.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Got a batch back today from Guadimexarico...3 of the 7 stated "liquid damage" and unrepaired.Those 2 now make it 12 with this return notice on them in the last 3 months. Time to contact the Pager Product Group and see what is up with this.Did they redesign the pager to less water resistant? Or is this just an easy way out of swapping the unit for a replacement?
nothing
Pj

Post by Pj »

Funny you should mention this. I had another one state liquid damage. On the advise of a member here I had a lengthy discussion on email where I pointed out its mil spec rating and some other factors. Try repaired it under a "one time exception" kinda thing. I am thinking they were not manufactured correctly or....? My other line was that the original battery with it is still showing a white dot indicating it has not been exposed.
pcleavitt

Post by pcleavitt »

Swap Board mewans they basically exchange the pager. If you get back a water damaged pager unrepaired or asking for payment, please let me know.
Philip C Leavitt
Pj

Post by Pj »

I've had two so far. Paid for one. Both have the extended warranty.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”