Repeat tone out and vibrator replacement

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Repeat tone out and vibrator replacement

Post by WV8VFD »

One of the departments here has a system that after dispatch sets their tones, it repeats their tones from their station. What devices do this? I've never bothered to look when I've been at their station.

Heres an audio file with what happens on a structure tone out we had earlier. Sorry for the audio quality. I was using my laptop's mic with the SV off my pager.

http://www.kd8cpp.com/radio/Structuretoneout.wma

Also, we have a minitor IV and the vibrator motor is out of it. I took the pager apart, and the motor is basically seized up. Does motorola still have them, or are they NLA? if they're NLA, does anyone know of another vibrator motor that'll swap into it?

Thanks
Tyler Lewis
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Re: Repeat tone out and vibrator replacement

Post by kb4mdz »

It's not an insurmountable problem, in fact, Wake County, NC used to do this at some of their stations; it's a way for Dispatch to know that the station has received the tones.

One way is for the page out RX to trip a paging encoder and key up the station's transmitter. A little bit of time delay, yadda, yadda.

Also helps reach out farther than a centrally located transmitter, if the fire station is at the edge of the coverage area.

No idea of the vibrator motor...
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Thanks. Thats exactly what we are trying to do. HT coverage of the dispatch repeater is OK in the station, but if all you have is your pager, its spotty, especially if you're upstairs in the day room or in the restroom downstairs, and if you're in the office, you wont hear anything, even on an HT. One of those step in one direction you have RX, step in the other no go. What we want to do is have it repeat on talkaround from the base station, so you will at least know we have a call, and can get to a better spot in the building.

Same thing goes in the town our station is in. If I'm at the post office, I can forget hearing a call. We're working on getting the house siren back up and running, but even then, itll only let you know 8AM to 8PM.
Tyler Lewis
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

That's another application; if when the station receives the page & sets off the siren, the transmitter keys up with an open mic, again so Dispatch can hear the siren.

What kind of distance are you talking about for the station from the transmitter? And how well is the transmitter doing, power wise (reality, not what the rumor mill says)?
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

A Zetron Model 19 Simplexor will do exactly what you want. It will listen to the page and dispatch, record the voice message, and then retransmit your tones and voice message from your base radio.

We have one set up on our base station that is activated only with a unique backup tone pair. It then transmits our normal pager tones plus the voice message.

I am not sure the Model 19 is still available from Zetron, but there are lots of them on the used market.

Zetron's Model 55B page buffer will also do store and forward.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Thanks Steve,

kb4mdz, The repeater is about 6 miles away, the base station is at the station itself. It is putting out 70 watts. Rated 75
Tyler Lewis
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

CSI Flex simplex repeater is a product that was built to replace the Zetron Model 19 simplexor. It also has voice storage so will repeater the tones and voice message.
http://www.connectsystems.com
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Thanks everyone. We were able to get a paging encoder that can do this from a buddy of mine's department out of town. It didnt play back the whole call, just the tones, and that's all we need. They recently went from low band to VHF, so they just gave it to us. Thanks for all the help.
Tyler Lewis

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”