Motorola Keynote Pager Programming Problem

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

irishlad

Motorola Keynote Pager Programming Problem

Post by irishlad »

Hi All,

I just got a Motorola Keynote pager programmer in the post and set it up (power, plugged into serial port etc.)

I loaded up the software and place the pager into the cradle and hit the Read/Config button but just get a message saying Config Error.

Anybody with any experience that might know the problem? Do I need a RIB?

Thanks in advance.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola Keynote Pager Programming Problem

Post by DJP126 »

You don't need a rib, the cradle is all you need. Does your computer have a true 9 pin serial port? Is it configured properly (com1, com3, parity, stop bits, baud rate), are you in true DOS, computer processor speed? These are the usual places to look for older equipment.
Dave
irishlad

Post by irishlad »

Hey,

Yes, I'm using a 9 pin serial port that has never had any issues before programming GM350's and SM50's.

I have an issue accessing Device Manager at the moment so must get that looked at. I am using XP, not true DOS.
irishlad

Post by irishlad »

Tried two computers running XP but had no luck. It wont let me access configuration settings. When I try to set to COM port it asks me first to select an archive path and I try C:\Keynote but it tells me there are copyright violations.

The computer runs XP and not true DOS. Could this be the problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
goblue

Post by goblue »

It sounds like the software might not be loaded correctly. A rib is not needed, The keynote programmer NRN6897B plugs into a 9 pin male cable with a 25 female on the other end. This attaches to my printer port which is my Com1

After I have loaded the software on my old XP IBM laptop. When you install the software, make sure you set the com port correctly, this could be the problem.

My F9 setup looks like this below.

Archive path : A:\

Backup path : A:\

Help path : A:\

Com port : Com1

Video mode : Monochrome

Almost all the Keynotes I try to read and or program require me to hold the pager is place to get the proper connection, even with a new keynote programmer. It has never been a perfect fit, and I have used dozens over the years.

If you have a stored voice/memory Keynote you need to read/program from DOS prompts if you want or need to change the length of the stored voice record.
irishlad

Post by irishlad »

Thanks Guys,

GoBlue - I have those dialogues without the A:\ part.

When I try and modify the options such as enter C:\ or C:\Keynote\ (which I created) I get a message saying "Config Error".

I thought it may be the computer but I'm getting the same on a laptop with serial port. I checked the model code for the programmer and it matches what you have typed above.

Perhaps the software is wrong? I get it on a disk which came with the programmer. I then simply enter the disk and load the software from the disk.

Anything obviously wrong standing out from the above?

Thanks again.
irishlad

Post by irishlad »

Ok, I managed to sort the issue of "Config Error" - my own fault as I was running the program directly from the CD - when I moved the file to my C Drive, I was able to change the settings.

Now, when I ask the pager to read my pagers I am getting new errors. I have about 95 Keynotes - mixture of QCII voice and I also have the QCII voice & Golay numeric in one.

Software wont read either, when I try to read them I get different errors for both models - is my software incorrect?

Screenshots to help
Two Tone Voice:

Voice and Numeric:

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”