Difference between "Pageboy II" and "Metro Pageboy II"

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mithotyn
New User

Difference between "Pageboy II" and "Metro Pageboy II"

Post by Mithotyn »

Hi!

Can anyone tell me the difference between a "Pageboy II" and an "Metro Pageboy II"?

Thanks in advance!
Joachim
RFguy

Re: Difference between "Pageboy II" and "Metro Pageboy II"

Post by RFguy »

Pageboy II was a 2-tone pager

Metro Pageboy was a different format. Not sure if it was 5-tone, or a digital format. but was a higher capacity format for this time when everyone in a large city had a pager and more cap codes were needed.
Mithotyn
New User

Post by Mithotyn »

Hi RFguy,

thanks for your quick reply. The Pageboy II was also capable of 5-tone decoding, which was used all over germany for example.

But you may be right anyway, that it used a different coding type. The manual says "decimal digital", what is also known as "Motorola EIA". It is similar to 5-tone, but faster and has a slightly different format.

In addition to the small housing shown on the manual, there is an extended version which i guess is also a Metro Pageboy. It has a seven digit display showing the called capcode (or what else?).

Attached some pictures of one of those i own. Does anyone have some more information about this extended version? As far as i found out, there is only one codeplug. But then it is not clear anymore, which information is shown on the display....

Thanks in advance!
Joachim
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The Metro was what Motorola called "Decimal Digital" which was actually a 5/6 tone format.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”