Minitor II tone reed

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KC9MDQ
What radios do you own?: Motorola,Vertex, Kenwood

Minitor II tone reed

Post by KC9MDQ »

Howdy gang. I'm a volunteer FF ( and dept. radio geek) and I have a department issued Minitor V pager. I also personally own a couple of Minitor II's that came from a neighboring department. Here's my pickle: the battery life of my Minitor V is, shall we say, rather sudden. Rather than spend money to get a spare battery, I'd rather get a tone reed for the Minitor II since the B tone is the same as the other department. I also have spare batteries for the Min II and we all know about the sensitivity. I'd like to have the II as a "standby" pager for when the battery dies on the Min V. So, I need a tone with the frequency of 822.2 Hertz.
Is there anybody here than hook a brother up? MODS,if this should be in the FOR SALE forum, I apologize. . . . I wanted to check availability first.

( And yes, I checked the department's radio bin first, but most of the guys traded in their Minitor II's for upgraded models, and the guys that still DO have them won't part with them unless forced to.)
Powered by Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Al

Re: Minitor II tone reed

Post by Al »

Another option for you: If you care to spend $20 and you don't care about intrinsic safety, you can buy a battery tray for your Min V that will take drugstore alkaline AAA batteries. Some say that the AAAs last longer than a charged NiMH OEM battery pack.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

KC9MDQ wrote:Howdy gang. I'm a volunteer FF ( and dept. radio geek) and I have a department issued Minitor V pager. I also personally own a couple of Minitor II's that came from a neighboring department. Here's my pickle: the battery life of my Minitor V is, shall we say, rather sudden. Rather than spend money to get a spare battery, I'd rather get a tone reed for the Minitor II since the B tone is the same as the other department. I also have spare batteries for the Min II and we all know about the sensitivity. I'd like to have the II as a "standby" pager for when the battery dies on the Min V. So, I need a tone with the frequency of 822.2 Hertz.
Is there anybody here than hook a brother up? MODS,if this should be in the FOR SALE forum, I apologize. . . . I wanted to check availability first.

( And yes, I checked the department's radio bin first, but most of the guys traded in their Minitor II's for upgraded models, and the guys that still DO have them won't part with them unless forced to.)

If you don't find a reed here, there's is always Ebay. There are several vendors who have constant listings for them
although their available inventory fluctuates as they buy and sell them. And on any given day, you never know what you might find as many departments are just getting around to selling off their old gear on Ebay. It's worth a look and maybe even set up a saved search or two with daily email notifications of new listings.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention Gary at G&G Communications. He's always got reeds for sale.

I have a Minitor II in a charger amp at home. Even with narrowbanding, that old workhorse just keeps on trucking. If the right radio comes along some day, I'd love to swap it for a Min-II SV model.
KC9MDQ
What radios do you own?: Motorola,Vertex, Kenwood

Post by KC9MDQ »

Al- Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it, but was also trying to not spend money on a equipment that doesn't belong to me (been there, done that, was a lead driver and instructor for taxi/wheelchair transport company and I always got snookered into fixing the radios for free, my fault I'm a pushover I guess.) Since I got the Minitor II's for free, I'd rather throw a few bucks into them.

Steve- I do indeed have a Fleabay watch list for Minitor II's, but some of that stuff is priced right up in Crazy Land. I thought I'd test the waters here and maybe try to do a trade or something, since hams usually don't shaft each other with wanton abandon.