Memo Express (product family 723) test mode

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

codefoxed
New User

Memo Express (product family 723) test mode

Post by codefoxed »

Hi all,

Does anyone have a copy of the Product Family 723 (Memo Express et al) service manual to hand? I've been trying to find a copy but it's proving very very difficult. I can't even find a part number for it (though admittedly I don't have MOL access, so maybe it's on there).

What I'd like to know is -- what do the three test modes do, and which one do I need to use when I'm tuning the receiver board ("always on" mode)?

I know how to get into Test Mode (with the pager off, hit the UP ARROW button five times in quick succession). Then you get a display like this:

B 11111111111111111

Pressing RIGHT ARROW cycles through the different modes:
B 22222222222222
B 33333333333333
And then back to "B 1111..." again.

I have another which works identically but displays a "6" instead of a "B". I guess this is a firmware version, revision code or something of that fashion.

The UP ARROW doesn't seem do do anything, but GREEN seems to boot the pager, skipping the startup message.

Thanks,
Phil / M6OFX
codefoxed
New User

Re: Memo Express (product family 723) test mode

Post by codefoxed »

Okay, quick answer -- I still have no idea what the test modes do or their official names, but mode two appears to lock the receiver board on.

Mode one definitely leaves the receiver board power cycling on and off at some rate I couldn't be bothered to measure (other than "razzum-frazzum the blasted M1 signal is turning on and off at a few Hertz-ish! How irritating!")

I would very much appreciate it if someone could either/or/both:

A) hop on MOL and pull the part number for the Memo Express service manual (if it's still available). Alas, I don't have MOL access myself :(
B) if someone has the service manual or can remember from days-gone-by, maybe drop me a PM and let me know what these test modes do?
I've looked at other service manuals (I have the Advisor and LX2 ones) and they just don't match up...

(I'd also *love* a copy of the manual for the RTL-1005 / RTL-1005A test jig if anyone can point me to a source for said manual! I get the feeling I'm using the RF jig in an almost-but-not-quite-right way...)

Also a free hint if you're tuning 723s / Memo Express pagers without the Motorola tuning jig - you'll have noticed that it's a right pain to keep the decoder board and battery in place on the RTL-1005 jig while you tune the receiver board. Usually the decoder board loses power, goes into "low battery" (thus dropping out of test mode) and you end up scratching your head wondering why M1 has vanished. Or I did. Maybe I'm a wee bit thick? Who knows. :lol:

Anyway, get yourself a pair of small-ish solder tags. You want something that'll take the two screws which normally hold the pager together. If you want to do a proper job, grab some washers too.
Bend the tags into an elongated "S" shape. Like this:

Code: Select all

_
_/
Fit the board stack into the front panel, then use the solder tags to hold it in, and the case screws to hold the solder tags in. You want things to go screw - washer - washer - soldertag - case. You need the washers because the screws are too long to go all the way into the threaded inserts. Creative bending of the tag or solder applied to the top face of the solder tag may also serve as an alternative - experiment!

What you'll find is that you can now insert a AAA battery and the pager will power on, and not fall to pieces under the spring force of the clips against the battery. Use a chunk of Blue-tack to hold the vib motor in place (it tends to fall out) and do the same to the inside edge of the battery (which tends to be easy to push out of place without the plastic there to support it).

Now push the pager all the way to the right of the 1005 jig. You want the battery against the back of the jig, and the right side of the pager against the small Formica board that's supported on the right by two posts.
Loosen the two thumbscrews that hold the front guide board. Push that up to the pager to hold it in (mostly).
Finally adjust the toggle clamp and spring pins to pick up M1 and ground, while still allowing access to the slugs for tuning. Remember, you don't have to use the ground test point, there are plenty of ground vias which will work just as well!
Just make sure the shield wire on your jig goes to the ground test point, and the insulated one goes to M1.

Cheers,
Phil / M6OFX
d119

Post by d119 »

Interesting write up Phil, thanks! What all are you working on with these pagers over there? Enlighten us :)
codefoxed
New User

Post by codefoxed »

d119 wrote:Interesting write up Phil, thanks! What all are you working on with these pagers over there? Enlighten us :)
I actually didn't have much of a plan! It just looked like a fun project -- I built up a POCSAG encoder from an old Motorola GM340 VHF and an ST Nucleo board, and I've just been trying to get the thing going, maybe find a use later. I have a few ideas but I need to see how they fit in with licensing restrictions.

I was going to recrystal the Memo Express units as they were the only pagers I could get my hands on at the time - then someone listed a bunch of Advisor IIs with synthesized VHF RX boards on Ebay US... so I have a working rig for testing, but I'd still like to recrystal the MemoExp units.

Cheers,
Phil.
aerol1
New User

Post by aerol1 »

Hello Phil, I've obtained a couple of Memo Express pagers (723) as well and one of these still active according to service provider - although it shows battery picto sometimes when powered on and still doesn't receiving any pages sent through paging provider.

Have you got any further with your project? I wanted to use these with Gascop project and Motorola GM300 - would appreciate any information from you in regards to service manual, reading capcode (RIC) and frequency from 723 family Motorola pagers.

Thank you!

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”